Ads not shown when logged in
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro Pub

This Space For Hire

The problem with Micropubs and their concept is you and your wife can run it without staff overheads but the owners soon realise that 70-80 hours a week are too much so they tend to run it on an ad hoc basis.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    You can't pick and choose when it comes to customer service. You have to treat each and every customer as though you really like them, you have to welcome the ones you recognise like they're your best friend, you have to truly hope that they come back again and that they spread the word to all their friends. If you can't do that with all sincerity then you shouldn't be in a customer service job.
    With Micropubs you can pick and choose as testified by earlier posts.Went to one of the two local ones to me and it was closed on a Saturday with a notice saying they had gone to a wedding. This is the problem.Do you keep the pub open or miss friends and family occasions.Best if you can trust someone to run it for you but that negates the concept of mum and pop micropubs.

Despite the dodgy opening hours the total of these places seems to be spiralling and is now 441. One was added today by a name I don't recognise at a place called Milford On Sea near Lymington in Hants. I've certainly not been to this town in fact I'm not sure that I'd even heard of it! It opened last summer so has escaped detection for 6 months which probably means there are others undetected.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    With Micropubs you can pick and choose as testified by earlier posts.Went to one of the two local ones to me and it was closed on a Saturday with a notice saying they had gone to a wedding. This is the problem.Do you keep the pub open or miss friends and family occasions.Best if you can trust someone to run it for you but that negates the concept of mum and pop micropubs.
    I suppose a pub shutting because the owners have gone to a wedding is slightly less annoying then the pub shutting because the entire joint has been booked for a wedding.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I suppose a pub shutting because the owners have gone to a wedding is slightly less annoying then the pub shutting because the entire joint has been booked for a wedding.
    So true.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Mr Wright said he was grateful to the Coors and Wye Valley breweries which were both providing technical assistance to The Starting Gate.
    I dread to think what advice they've been taking from Mouldy Corpse especially given this following statement.

The micro pub will have five hand pumps circulating 30 to 40 local and sought-after real ales.
    I'm partial to the odd Wye Valley beer, the thing I disliked most about them was the naff rather than sexist Dorothy Goodbody brand which they've done away with. Given their beers are commonly found in many W Midland outlets, I wouldn't call them "sought after" or even all that "local".

I've only been through Penn on the bus and not really spotting anything worth getting off for. In that respect it fits the template for micropubs in that and other areas being set in rather dull suburbia.
    I'm sure I'll darken it's door after it opens!

I'm finding it increasingly difficult defining what are or are not micropubs, especially without visiting them. What about this place in Hucknall? It seems to be a cross between a pub, café and bike shop!
    The only rigid guideline I can come up with for a venue is that if it doesn't have at least one cask ale then it isn't a micropub.

Nice to get the exposure I suppose, I also notice it predictably degenerates fairly quickly into a tiff about definitions. I'm surprised people still read that Discourse tosh.