Ads not shown when logged in
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro Pub

"six or seven micro bars opening in Chorley town centre in the space of eighteen months"
    http://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/ne...-pub-1-8510887
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

"met the exceptional circumstances criteria for applications within the saturation zone "
    http://www.nottinghampost.com/pub-th...ail/story.html

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Not a Micro Pub but a Micro Bar , not sure what the difference is , The Vault has opened in Ellesmere , Shropshire .

One for Real Ale Rays ever expanding list
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Not a Micro Pub but a Micro Bar , not sure what the difference is , The Vault has opened in Ellesmere , Shropshire .

One for Real Ale Rays ever expanding list
    He will have to stay thirsty until The Dwarfs add it to the site

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    He will have to stay thirsty until The Dwarfs add it to the site
    It's been done, already!

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    It's been done, already!
    It wasn't done at 21.02
    , 'cos I looked!

but you were still quick.
    Last edited by AlanH; 30-06-2017 at 03:42.

Default The PotHole, Allestree

I went for a trip to the PotHole yesterday. This micropub is closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so I had planned my trip for Thursday when the pub was due to open at 12 noon. My bus out from Derby arrived at 12:20 and I was at the pub taking a photo at 12:25. It was at this point that it dawned upon me that it was not open - through the shop window I could see that someone was wiping down the tables. On closer inspection, there was a note taped to the glass of the door, saying it would be open at 2pm on Thursday 28th. What ensued can be read in my review.

Now there may be technical, cellar-keeping reasons why inviting me in for a beer would have been difficult. But it seems to me there was an overriding customer service need to do so - and if I'd been in his shoes that is definitely what I would have done. Even if it meant pouring me a half direct from the barrel, if the lines hadn't been pulled through.

Also, it seems to me they've missed an opportunity here. This is the only pub for miles around (I subsequently visited the Markeaton, an Ember Inns pub, which was very busy, and the Woodlands, a Stonegate pub, which was less so) and surely there are a few beer drinkers in Allestree who would welcome the chance of a drink on Boxing Day or the day after? If I had a business like this one, I would certainly have been open those days, and possibly Christmas Day too. And opening at 2pm instead of noon? Sheer laziness.

As I always say, if you're not open you can't sell any beer.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I went for a trip to the PotHole yesterday. This micropub is closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so I had planned my trip for Thursday when the pub was due to open at 12 noon. My bus out from Derby arrived at 12:20 and I was at the pub taking a photo at 12:25. It was at this point that it dawned upon me that it was not open - through the shop window I could see that someone was wiping down the tables. On closer inspection, there was a note taped to the glass of the door, saying it would be open at 2pm on Thursday 28th. What ensued can be read in my review.

Now there may be technical, cellar-keeping reasons why inviting me in for a beer would have been difficult. But it seems to me there was an overriding customer service need to do so - and if I'd been in his shoes that is definitely what I would have done. Even if it meant pouring me a half direct from the barrel, if the lines hadn't been pulled through.

Also, it seems to me they've missed an opportunity here. This is the only pub for miles around (I subsequently visited the Markeaton, an Ember Inns pub, which was very busy, and the Woodlands, a Stonegate pub, which was less so) and surely there are a few beer drinkers in Allestree who would welcome the chance of a drink on Boxing Day or the day after? If I had a business like this one, I would certainly have been open those days, and possibly Christmas Day too. And opening at 2pm instead of noon? Sheer laziness.

As I always say, if you're not open you can't sell any beer.

Welcome to the world of micropubs! The most common reason for not opening is when the owner goes on holiday but I had something similar in Herne Bay last New Years Eve (it shut earlier than usual). The one in Melton Mowbray didn't open at all on a Saturday afternoon, no note, no explanation. The one in Coalville has opening times of 17:00 Fri & Sat, 18:00 Sun and 19:30 Tue-Thu. When I was in Colwyn Bay a few months ago the owner of that one said he may close down for the first two weeks of January as there's so little trade.

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Great review Will!

I've had this lots of times with micros, it's very frustrating especially if you've travelled a good distance and have a thirst! Some of them seem to run their micro as a hobby and not a business, hence the strange opening hours. Whatpub can also be misleading re. opening times, I've been caught out a few times.

Nowadays I tend to double check the times, to avoid disappointment...
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan