Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro Pub

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I asked for a drink of Flipside Rusty Penny,i did'nt know this was a porter but i do like porters,stouts,milds just the same as my normal bitter.

I got the feeling he would'nt have asked any other customers who were in on my visit if they had asked for that beer that it was a porter.

I may be wrong and he could have been trying to be helpfull,but my gut feeling was that he would'nt have asked anybody else.
    Sometimes when a beer doesn,t indicate a style such as Rusty Penny good barstaff try to help by telling you what it is.Of course its the way they say it that can offend.

A new micro pub, inspired by the Rat Race in Hartlepool, has opened in the real ale hotbed that is Midddlesbrough.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/dr...-house-5749838

A new micro pub, claiming to be Liverpool's first, is due to open in Crosby on Friday.

http://liverpoolpigeon.co.uk/

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I have been to a couple now; the Dr's Orders in Nottingham a week or so ago, and then Hail to the Ale in Wolverhampton on Friday. They offer a quiet haven - something different and neither were full of beer tickers. I like them. After Hail to the Ale, I went just around the corner to the big 1930s estate and now Marston's foody pub, the Cleregate - and I enjoyed that too.
    MILD:

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I have been to a couple now; the Dr's Orders in Nottingham a week or so ago, and then Hail to the Ale in Wolverhampton on Friday. They offer a quiet haven - something different and neither were full of beer tickers. I like them. After Hail to the Ale, I went just around the corner to the big 1930s estate and now Marston's foody pub, the Cleregate - and I enjoyed that too.
    (Neither full of beer tickers)-As a ticker it doesn,t bother me if a pub is full of normals..I prefer tickers but you normals can be quite intereresting.cheers john

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    (Neither full of beer tickers)-As a ticker it doesn,t bother me if a pub is full of normals..I prefer tickers but you normals can be quite intereresting.cheers john
    I don't really regard myself as a ticker either for pubs or beers as I don't keep a permanent record of where I've been or what I drank, but I do have a Spoons list with the ones inside the M25 ticked.

I do find the thought of being associated with a group of people referred to as "the normals" somewhat alarming. It sounds like something out of Doctor Who.

On the original subject, I do have the Door Hinge in Welling on my to do list for when I visit the Spoons there. I just hope it opens at 12:00 on Friday as advertised.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    What does that make me then,i am a real ale drinker but dont mind going in keg only pubs if they are new to me,probaly a subnormal.

I will hopefully be at the Nottingham beer festival on Saturday i have got tickets for me and the wife,we usually walk round but i think i might have to sit at one of those tables that the beer tickers always take over,it will be interesting to hear what crap they talk about,when they are doing their tasting notes.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    What does that make me then,i am a real ale drinker but dont mind going in keg only pubs if they are new to me,probaly a subnormal.

I will hopefully be at the Nottingham beer festival on Saturday i have got tickets for me and the wife,we usually walk round but i think i might have to sit at one of those tables that the beer tickers always take over,it will be interesting to hear what crap they talk about,when they are doing their tasting notes.
    There are no rules for beer tickers but in general its the amount of different beers you try rather than the taste.Its nice when you get a obscure beer or brewery and the beer is good but even if its crap the thrill is in the chase.I would imagine with pub tickers(is that the correct title) its the same when you arrive at a new out of the way or a legendary pub.

This Space For Hire

Going back to the original thread the Butchers arms is credited as a new concept but surely the Rake bar in London was the original with a tiny café turned to a tiny bar.I also remember the Micro Bar in Lavender hill which may have been earlier.Anyone reviewed the origonal Micro Bar.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I like the Rat Race, Hartlepool Railway station. It used to be a newspaper kiosk I believe, and serves beers from micros and real cider.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.