Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The relationship between CAMRA and publicans

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    By that token they shouldn't have anything to do with pubs, they are already involved beyond their name.
    Pubs are the only place that can sell real ale to the general public - the two are inter-related. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    Hence SIBA organising one this week featuring 50 kegged beers from the UK.
    Good on them - but they are there to promote trade for microbreweries in general not specifically real ale. I might even try a few....

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Pubs are the only place that can sell real ale to the general public - the two are inter-related. Simples.
    I am given to understand that bottle conditioned RA is RA, at least that is what the little CAMRA logo on the side of the bottle I saw at Asda said.

Also why try and save pubs by suggesting they become restaurants as in one of our recent examples?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I am given to understand that bottle conditioned RA is RA, at least that is what the little CAMRA logo on the side of the bottle I saw at Asda said.

Also why try and save pubs by suggesting they become restaurants as in one of our recent examples?
    Bottle conditioned stuff is technically RA, but frankly is never as good as the real deal. I think most of us would agree on that?

A restaurant that serves ale/beer/wine/cider whatever to Joe Bloggs is preferable to a house, wouldn't you say? That is, of course, if Joe Bloggs was ever interested in using the pub in the first place.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

And a house is preferable to a derelict building.

But these facile debates do nothing to alter the fact that CAMRA's mission has already spread beyond it's campaigns name which is all I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Paris_Hilton View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but SIBA is a trade organisation for brewers, and I quote from their website 'formed in 1980 as the Small Independent Brewers’ Association, to represent the interests of the emerging new wave of microbrewers'.

As such they will push their product and encourage all to drink it in the same way as the big brewers did in the past. They may well have a kegged beer festival this weekend, presumably to try to convert us all to keg beer as, as has been mentioned before, kegged is easier to keep that cask ales etc etc.

CAMRA is an independent organisation, not funded, nor therefore influenced, by the brewers. CAMRA's mission is to protect the interests of cask ale drinkers.

Like someone (OB?) said of CAMRA, their competition, their rules.
    Sorry - I should have made myself clearer. What I meant was it's not CAMRAs job, hence SIBA doing it. I quite agree CAMRA should be about real ale. Not quite sure about RAIB though...
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Just got back in from Fleetwood fest so catching up on all todays posts.

On pub allocation to GBG I heard that if you had an allocation of 15 say and only had 2 good enough to put in, you should put in the 2 and pool the other 13 centrally rather than put poor pubs in.

A branch then with an allocation of 15 and a lot more decent pubs worthy of entry could draw from the central pool.

Sounds a good idea, but no branch wants to put so few entries in, as the next year they would likely get a reduced allocation.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Sorry, Quinno, but that's nonsense wrong (must mind my manners ). While pubs clearly form the majority of real ale selling venues, it's perfectly possible to buy direct from the brewery and from real ale off-licences - we have both here in Horsham. CAMRA also have their own festivals.

Now about this Fast Cask thing that Marston's are pushing...

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Just got back in from Fleetwood fest so catching up on all todays posts.

On pub allocation to GBG I heard that if you had an allocation of 15 say and only had 2 good enough to put in, you should put in the 2 and pool the other 13 centrally rather than put poor pubs in.

A branch then with an allocation of 15 and a lot more decent pubs worthy of entry could draw from the central pool.

Sounds a good idea, but no branch wants to put so few entries in, as the next year they would likely get a reduced allocation.
    I didn,t know that each area had an allocation, having never been a member of CAMRA. That system has to be flawed. Comparing say Rochdale or Oldham to Halifax or Huddersfield the former have very few good real ale pubs whereas the other two areas have a plethora of good quality real ale pubs. Why should a good quality pub be omitted as it is over quota when a sub standard pub be included as it falls in a different area.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Good thread. I'm not a current CAMRAmember, though joined back in the early days-1974 I think. With the growth in sites like this, and beer blogging generally, i found I got all the beer/pub info I needed, and living so far out, I never got to a meeting.
    They do a good job, promoting real ale, as indeed they should, but do seem to get bound up in minutiae, as most democratic/voluntary bodies do. I felt, when I was an active member, that there was a busy body element-goes with the territory I suppose. I never enjoyed that elemnt of the campaign, and I'm sure landlords hate it as well. A prime example is the Rhyspence Inn business.
    I found Conrad's link to the chippy Yorkshire brewer hilariuos on many counts, especially as he griped about lack of "support" for "progressive " beers:keg is keg, and real ale, real ale.Most beer drinkers, I'm sure would not condemn any beer without trying ,but one can't expect CAMRA to campaign for beer that isn't "real".I must admit I've not tried one of these new wave kegs,a) because I've vivid memories of how goddamn awful keg was, and b )because I've rarely come across them.Of course "Kevin" is a prat, but its equally wrong to condemn UK (and Kentish!) hops as dull. My neighbour has recently planted a garden of Goldings to meet demand-much of his production is exported to the US craft brewers!
    To say CAMRA has stifled development of English beer is pretty good rubbish-when I started drinking Porter was a thing of the past,mild was on its uppers,Old ales and Barley wines were not particularily common, and goldes/blondes unknown, as were seasonals.
    I feel better for that!
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.