Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Pub Suggestions

I'll stay on me own

Default London Pub Suggestions

I'm planning a few days in London at the end of March. My geographical knowledge of London is hazy, but I've stayed in Notting Hill before and enjoyed that. I'll be coming in to Paddington, so somewhere vaguely that side of town would make sense.

I don't want anything too central, but other than that requirements are really just somewhere with a decent selection of authentic pubs (of course!) and reasonable tube connections.

I had considered maybe Hampstead, St. John's Wood or Islington. Open to any other suggestions though, and of course, pubs to visit once I'm there.

Thanks.

What days of the week you will be visiting? Some of the best pubs are in parts of London that close at weekends although I'm sure we can all still muster up a list that will keep you going for a month.

I'll stay on me own

Most likely it will be arrive on Thursday, depart on Sunday.

If you fancy doing Islington, this is a recommended route though you will need a decent map for the back streets. This will take in several traditional pubs including 2 of London’s finest ale houses. Start by getting the tube to Angel. Then you have the Nags Head, the York, Camden Head, Island Queen, Narrow Boat, Wenlock Arms and Old Fountain from where it is a short walk to Old Street tube. You can bookend it with a couple of ‘Spoons (Angel & Masque Haunt) if you want brekky and cheap dinner at the end. It is best to do this one on the Friday as I think the Old Fountain may not open at weekends.

I have done Hampstead recently and many of the pubs there have been modernised and gastro’d. There are a couple worth doing (Holly Bush and Flask are dead certs) and a couple of lucky dips (the Horseshoe was home to Camden Brewery and usually has some decent ales although the interior isn’t to my taste). I would suggest a joint Highgate to Hampstead (or vice versa) walk whereby you can do 3 or 4 in Hampstead and then take a 15 stroll alongside the Heath to the Spaniards. From there it is another 15 minutes walk to Highgate where you can do the Prince of Wales, the Flask, Gatehouse and a couple of other lucky dips.

To my knowledge there is nothing around St Johns wood pub wise and unless you are going to Lords or getting your photo taken on the zebra crossing at Abbey Road, there isn’t much there at all.

I don’t really know the Western side of London but I’m sure others will assist.

London Bridge/Borough is my favourite drinking area in London with the Market Porter, Rake, Lord Clyde, Royal Oak and Wheatsheaf among the regular favourites for many people. The George is a must visit for its historical significance and there are 3 or 4 Nicholsons in the area that will provide a decent mix of ales as well as several lucky dip options in the back streets. Again, best check opening times but most are open at weekends.

There are several great pubs in the City but they shut at weekends.

Hope this is of use.

I'll stay on me own

That's very useful info, thanks a lot.

I've got an A-Z, so finding my way around the back streets shouldn't be a problem.

We did The George a few years ago, but I've not done any of the others in that area.

I would second Roger's recommendation of the London Bridge/Borough area - lots of very different pubs all offering excellent beer selections.

Should you find yourself in the Notting Hill area again, I would recommend the Churchill Arms as being well worth a look - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22697/
    It's close to Notting Hill Gate tube and you could combine it with a visit to the Windsor Castle (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22728/) and Uxbridge Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22725/) among others.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I would second Roger's recommendation of the London Bridge/Borough area - lots of very different pubs all offering excellent beer selections.

Should you find yourself in the Notting Hill area again, I would recommend the Churchill Arms as being well worth a look - http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22697/
    It's close to Notting Hill Gate tube and you could combine it with a visit to the Windsor Castle (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22728/) and Uxbridge Arms (http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/22725/) among others.
    Also if you end up stuck in the general Notting Hill/Kensington area , you could add The Scarsdale. http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63656/

Oh my god... There are so many places to go!!!

I agree that SE1 is the mecca for great pubs in a very small area and Hampstead/St Johns Wood aren't really worth a special visit if just visiting the smoke. I don't really know the Paddington area, but if you are free in the week during the day after lunch any area of central London will turn up a few gems in the four hours before office kicking out time.

I'll try and think of a few as this thread gets longer, as it inevitably will.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Try these:

Princess Louise in High Holborn (famed for its historic interior),
    The newly crowned CAMRA PotY The Harp in Covent Garden,
    Ship and Shovel by Charing Cross station,
    Edgar Wallace in Essex Street,
    Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on the Strand (not to be confused with the nearby Cheshire Cheese in Little Essex Street),
    The Black Friar by Blackfriars station
    Waes hael!

There are some crackers, but the FOUR I keep going back to are:
    • CASK, Pimlico
    • Old Fountain, Old Street
    • White Horse (AKA Sloany Pony), Parsons Green
    • Harp, Chandos Place, Covent Garden

(and yes, two of them are still awaiting my effusive praise via the mass migrate tool!)
    Last edited by Quinno; 20-02-2011 at 22:48.