Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Most Annoying Glass Design

  1. #1
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    1,452

    Default Most Annoying Glass Design

    I nominate Stella's stupid goblet.

    <rant> It is perfectly designed to channel the condensation down the stem which then collects on the foot in sizeable volumes, trapped by surface tension and the mould marks. You of course don't notice, too busy fiddling with your phone or earwigging the next table or slagging the pub off for not having proper beer so you're stuck with Wifebeater. Then you take a swig and all that condensation ends up down your shirt or in your lap, making it look like you're so pissed you've both missed your mouth and wet yourself. And that was your first drink all day. </rant>

    I'm sure they do it on purpose.

  2. #2
    Real Ale Drinker Paris_Hilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Beverly Hills
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    I nominate Stella's stupid goblet.

    <rant> It is perfectly designed to channel the condensation down the stem which then collects on the foot in sizeable volumes, trapped by surface tension and the mould marks. You of course don't notice, too busy fiddling with your phone or earwigging the next table or slagging the pub off for not having proper beer so you're stuck with Wifebeater. Then you take a swig and all that condensation ends up down your shirt or in your lap, making it look like you're so pissed you've both missed your mouth and wet yourself. And that was your first drink all day. </rant>

    I'm sure they do it on purpose.
    My nomination

    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...:1&um=1&itbs=1

  3. #3
    Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Much as i love my history, overall glasses have improved............. i always found the one below difficult to balance after a few pints of mead (saxonbeater)

    http://www.jelldragon.com/drinking_horns.htm
    MILD:

  4. #4
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,156

    Default

    Sorry, I can't resist it...Why, it's the dimpled jug of course. (Lights blue touchpaper and stands well clear.)
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  5. #5
    Humble Wordsmith ETA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Normally Somerset, sometimes on a yacht.
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Those stupid artifical Bavarian mugs with a spiky pewter lid, guaranteed to put your eye out after about 4 litres whilst chiming some irritating faux-folk tune from the wind-up music box hidden in the volume-wasting base.

  6. #6
    Former Pubs Galore Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    I used to quite like the Stella glasses, should I ever have the misfortune again I will be clearly on the lookout for drips

    To Soup though, aren't you a bit of a wussy Viking if you have any mead in your horn to spill? If it has drink in it you shouldn't be putting it down!

  7. #7
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    To Soup though, aren't you a bit of a wussy Viking if you have any mead in your horn to spill? If it has drink in it you shouldn't be putting it down!
    Can you imagine Soupy approaching the bar, to ask the barmaid for a cloth, as he's spilt mead from his horn. Cue resounding slap.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  8. #8
    Spritzer Swallower
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Not sure about annoying, but the Leute Bok glass wins the prize for solving a non-existent problem: how to have a handleless glass with a pointed base that doesn't have to be held all the time...http://tinyurl.com/4ljhre2
    Incidentally, weren't the original Saxon drinking vessels designed so that they cou;dn't be set down, but rather drained at a draught? Sure I read that somewhere...

  9. #9
    Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Can you imagine Soupy approaching the bar, to ask the barmaid for a cloth, as he's spilt mead from his horn. Cue resounding slap.
    It would be her own fault, as she would have 'give me the horn' in the first place
    MILD:

  10. #10
    Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    1,639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericonabike View Post
    Incidentally, weren't the original Saxon drinking vessels designed so that they coudn't be set down, but rather drained at a draught? Sure I read that somewhere...
    drinking horns go way back into antiquity, i am sure fragments were unearthed in Mycenae (when i studied it some years back) - likely more to do with the fact that they could be hollowed, or some ritual thing than actual practical thought of being able to set it down - hence my 'worst glass design' and yes - the Romans made them in glass later

    http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore...king-horn.aspx
    MILD:

Similar Threads

  1. Re-use of glass
    By Arthurish in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 15-01-2011, 13:21
  2. Camra pub design awards
    By NickDavies in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-11-2010, 16:15
  3. Lets Design a Pub Sign! (Part III)
    By Youngie in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 20-08-2010, 11:09
  4. Lets Design a Pub Sign! (Part II)
    By Youngie in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 12:24
  5. Lets Design a Pub Sign!
    By Youngie in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-01-2010, 13:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •