Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bath

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Default Bath

Does anybody have any pub recommendations for Bath? I shall be paying a flying visit on Wednesday and, once the sun goes down, I will need somewhere warm, comfortable and friendly to wait for a train. Central would be best, but I'm prepared to walk 20 or so minutes (as long as it's not a convoluted route).

Raven, Old Green Tree, Star and Salamander all seem to be the kind of place I'm looking for.

Recommendations for places to avoid are also welcome!

Many thanks.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

God that is embarassing, I grew up drinking in Bath, and I daren't advise now as it has changed so much.

Southgate down by the train station has just been renovated and is a completely different place now, but there never used to be any pubs there anyway.

When I used to go drinking in Bath the Salamander was a dark and skanky pub with a red neon sign in the window, I used to love it. It is now a Bath brewery pub, and I like all their pubs in Bristol, so should be a good bet, although a bit of a stroll from the station.

I was recently in Flan O'Briens, it is a nice enough pub, has the feel of a chain pub though with flat screen TV's for the sport.

The Bath Tap is very close to the station, wouldn't like to guess what it is like these days though.

The Huntsman is another pub near the station, used to be on 3 floors, downstairs where the students would hang out, ground floor was respectable and busy, and then club on the top floor.

Sorry not really much help, although it has made me realise I need to go out one night in Bath and have a few drinks.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Sorry to say, my Lord of Horsham, it has been a few years since i last went - pre review days, so i cant help
    MILD:

I once drove through Bath in the rush hour. I could not get out of the traffic stream. Ended up miles away.I saw lots of nice pubs but as usual on the opposite side of the road across two lanes of solid traffic.

my last visit was a few years ago but I would certainly recommend the Green Tree (it does get rammed though) and the Star. The latest GBG suggests the Bell, Walcot St (music pub) and further out at Twerton, the Royal Oak, Lower Bristol Rd and the White Horse, Shophouse Road, as quieter with a good ale range.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I once drove through Bath in the rush hour. I could not get out of the traffic stream. Ended up miles away.I saw lots of nice pubs but as usual on the opposite side of the road across two lanes of solid traffic.
    Highlighted your mistake there, you clearly missed the 1 bridge you are still allowed to drive across.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    my last visit was a few years ago but I would certainly recommend the Green Tree (it does get rammed though) and the Star. The latest GBG suggests the Bell, Walcot St (music pub) and further out at Twerton, the Royal Oak, Lower Bristol Rd and the White Horse, Shophouse Road, as quieter with a good ale range.
    The Bell is an excellent choice, I would say a little far from the station, but still only about a mile out. I am assuming it hasn't changed too much, but was without question one of the best pubs in Bath. Many years back when I used to frequent it was regularly rammed, but good service, it was before I started drinking ales, but I remember it did real fruit juice which was a rarity, so I assume it was as concientous about its ales. A long smokey room that used to have live music at the front, a large open backyard, that has now been cleaned up. Also bar billiards and a table football hall for pub game lovers.

Thanks for the pointers, as well as regrets that you can't provide too much current data - PG is a little historical on Bath (how appropriate!), so I shall see about providing some up-to-date information.

The Royal Oak does sound like my sort of place - 10 pumps, eh? So, off I went to the pub's website - Pubs Galore makes the jump so simple, only to find that it's not been updated in 9 months and the big upcoming event is the summer 2008 Folk & Beer Festival!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Blimey that would qualify as a hidden gem, I never even knew about that one, although it is the other side of Bath to where I used to live, sounds quite interesting though.

I kind of feel sorry for pubs when it comes to web sites, having been on the receiving end of some of the sales pitches you get for web sites it must be a nightmare when they want to run a public facing business and some marketeer is mumbling things about giving them a full CMS (Content Management System) web site, that will have perfect meta-tags for search engines, page design that takes into account latest studies using laser eye tracking to make the page sell itself and any other BS bingo words of the week.

It is a pity though, that would be a good web site if it were up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    only to find that it's not been updated in 9 months and the big upcoming event is the summer 2008 Folk & Beer Festival!
    Unless of course they have a US date format for their beer list, which would mean it was updated on the 2nd of November rather than 11th of February.

Sadly the Gigablast search engine tells me that the site was last modified 9 months ago. Bang goes another good theory

Yes - I am looking just from the point of view of the public - not considering the fact that the business may have bought the website in burst of enthusiasm, only to find that keeping the thing up-to-date is more trouble than they bargained for. Doesn't look good, though I may well make the effort (weather permitting) as it seems perfectly walkable from the station.