Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Clever S*ds

Default Clever S*ds

If you have ever walked through Edinburgh's grey streets in the sleet on the way to a hostelry, you may appreciate the sublime beer name that somebody at Stewart Brewing came up with - Cauld Reekie. Just two words, in dialect too, but a work of genius!

(Did I mention that this 6.2% stout goes very well with a Wetherspoons Breakfast Bloomer Sandwich? Perhaps best not to, else you may get the wrong idea about how I normally start the day...)

Second place in the Clever Clogs stakes goes to the sub-editor who, commenting on Christine Aguilera's rendition of the American national anthem before last night's Super Bowl, came up with the memorable caption "Star Mangled Banner"...

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    the memorable caption "Star Mangled Banner"...
    Excellent! I've long wondered why Americans seem to have no problem accepting the consistent destruction of their anthem by 'stars' - all that wailing up and down chords to add their own 'twist', instead of singing it to the written notes, is an abomination which would drive me crackers, and does.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Excellent! I've long wondered why Americans seem to have no problem accepting the consistent destruction of their anthem by 'stars' - all that wailing up and down chords to add their own 'twist', instead of singing it to the written notes, is an abomination which would drive me crackers, and does.
    It shows the difference in culture between the Septics and us - their demented warbling is totally outclassed by our own Brian May's rendition of God Save The Queen from the roof of HM's London pad in 2002. No comparison.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Any one listen to R4 PM last night? Asking English if they can sing God Save the Queen, one said they only knew fourth verse as it gets up the Scots noses. a man after my own miserable heart

“Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God Save the King.”

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    “Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid, Victory bring. May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush, God Save the King.”
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
    Last edited by hondo; 09-02-2011 at 10:02.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die"
    That is a rather bizarre leap, although I have to admit that I would rather hear something by Vangelis than a rendition of our national anthem (any of the verses )

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    That is a rather bizarre leap, although I have to admit that I would rather hear something by Vangelis than a rendition of our national anthem (any of the verses )
    never on a sunday though
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"