Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are cats really more intelligent than dogs?

Default Are cats really more intelligent than dogs?

I’m watching Send in the Dogs on ITV and these dogs work bloody hard and have been trained well, there’s no way you could train a cat to do their job. You don’t get guide cats either! If I was buried in an avalanche in the Swiss Alps I wouldn’t want that horrible moggy that lives next door coming to my rescue. So why are cats regarded as being more intelligent? Is it because they act like chavs and lord it about without actually doing anything? Put a cat in a room with a dog and the dog wins! (No mention of lions and tigers please).

I didn’t just start this thread to get RD involved, I’d like to know if we have any cat lovers on here. If so why?

Also, has anyone been watching the excellent Human World series on BBC with the desert, sea and jungle survival tribes – sort of makes me ashamed to have the worries I do. I just watched the jungle one and a bloke climbed 40 metres up a tree using a piece of vine wrapped around the tree whilst being savagely attacked by the huge bee colony that he stole the honey from to give his wife and kids a sugar treat. I won’t walk to the shops if it is raining!

Sorry, bit of a random post but I’m lagging and I’ve lost the remote and that tw*t Jonathon Creek is on the TV! Never liked him and he looks like that bloke who thinks he’s funny.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Dogs are pack animals while cats are solitary. Packs have a leader, usually the dog's owner or trainer hence you get that loyalty and keeness to please which is why dogs can be trained to do fairly complex tasks. Being solitary most things a cat does are purely for its own benefit, self preservation etc, so you'll not tend to be able to train a cat to do anything unless there is something in it for the cat.

Our cat has worryingly found out how to open the fridge, while we had another once who would pee in the bathroom basin (nice). As regards cat intelligence I'm not sure, ours will ask to go out of the back door but if it happens to be raining will then go to the front door and be quite put out to discover its raining there too!

As regards a squabble between a cat and a dog most dogs will know to keep their distance.

Look at the cat in the picture above this message. Do you think he's fool enough to get too close to that parrot??? He's had a lump or two taken out of him before so never again. The chihuahua's try chase the bird and end up getting savagely dive bombed,and they still try again............

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I didn’t just start this thread to get RD involved, he’s funny.
    Well here I am, old son. Although this is bait I rarely rise too, I do like a spot of reasoned debate, so here goes
    I doubt there is any difference in the intelligence level of either group. By and large, their vision and hearing are on a par but a dog's sense of smell is markedly superior. The reason people argue this question, other than 'brand loyalty and rivalry', stems from markedly different hunting techniques.
    Domestic cats are ambush predators, as were their ancestors. Once seperated from their parents they learn their their trade alone. Dogs, domestic or otherwise, are descended from a line of 'pack' pedators. Your usual pet moggie only has his own experience to learn from, something he does very well, but most mutts have at least their owner for help. We are pack animals too so we are well suited to teaching the mutt who learns from our life as well as his.
    Take the cat and the chihuahua's. The cat gets hurt, something a solitary predator cannot afford. Wait till it gets into an ambush position, not easy in a small, crowded world, then the feathers will fly. The dogs on the other hand are a pack, they chase, relying on the a strike to get them home, which dog makes that strike is immaterial. Left to their own devices, they will eventually succeed. Keep them apart.
    Same goes for dogs and cats. Cat and dog are like dog and man. If a human is attacked by a dog they usually back away, it gets serious and the dog is dead. Dogs usually give cats best, the game's not worth the candle, it gets serious, similar result, the cat is dead.
    I've lived among dogs and around cats all my life, I love dogs, tolerate cats, but one more intelligent? There's nought in it.........

Ps...My dogs are taught not to chase cats for a variety of reasons the most important of which is an old adage 'worst case is a dead cat and a blind dog'.
    Last edited by runningdog; 04-02-2011 at 12:42.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

there’s no way you could train a cat to do their job.
    >> Yep, any cat owner will tell you they are far more intelligent to be hood winked into doing tasks for humans..

And after having to look after 2 of them whilst a friend was on holiday I can clearly state, without contradiction, that intelligence and Red Setter in the same sentance is an oxymoron...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

When I was a nipper my aunt used to visit with her yorkie in tow... hairy little rat like thing that bit me once for treading on it - nearly broke the skin. I don't like cats, partly because I'm allergic to them and partly because I don't trust them!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

All this did is remind me of these 2 jokes about the differences between cats and dogs:
    Quote Originally Posted by joke 1
    “Excerpts From The Dog’s Daily Diary”
    8:00 am - Oh Boy! Dog food! My favorite!
    9:30 am - Oh Boy! A car ride! My favorite!
    9:40 am - Oh Boy! A walk! My favorite!
    10:30 am - Oh Boy! A car ride! My favorite!
    11:30 am - Oh Boy! Dog food! My favorite!
    Noon - Oh Boy! The kids! My favorite!
    1:00 pm - Oh Boy! The yard! My favorite!
    4:00 pm - Oh Boy! The kids! My favorite!
    5:00 pm - Oh Boy! Dog food! My favorite!
    5:30 pm - Oh Boy! Mom! My favorite!
    6:00 pm - Oh Boy! Playing ball! My favorite!
    6:30 pm - Oh Boy! Sleeping in master’s bed! My favorite!

“Excerpts From The Cat’s Daily Diary”
    Day 283 Of My Captivity.
    My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.

Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded; must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair; must try this on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was. Hmmm, not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of “allergies.” Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured. But I can wait, it is only a matter of time. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by joke 2
    A dog owner comes home from work to find his dog waiting for him behind the door. The dog is wagging his tail, delighted beyond measure to see his master again. He wags his tail in glee, and licks his master’s face. The owner drops everything and starts petting the dog, stroking his head and tickling him behind the ears.

“Oh, you are so good to me,” thinks the dog. “You pet me, feed me, fuss me and look after me. You take care of all my needs every day. Truly you must be God!”

A cat owner comes home from work to find his cat sitting calmly on the sofa. He sits down next to his pet, who licks her paw thoughtfully while her owner strokes her and brings out various little toys to amuse her. After a while, the cat nuzzles her head against her owner’s hand and he is delighted by the attention.

“Oh, you are so good to me,” thinks the cat. “You pet me, feed me, fuss me and look after me. You take care of all my needs every day. Surely I must be God!”

I reckon Conrad's post has proved my point. Brand loyalty wins over reason every time
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Some light swearing, but fits so nicely with the thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSK1D3bZhRs

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Cats are the spawn of hell sent to corrupt and destroy ....... a bit like Punch Taverns
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !