Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Hotels and beer

Hybrid View

Spritzer Swallower

Default Hotels and beer

I often have to stay in business/chain hotels in the UK. I've noticed that they're now making an effort to propmote 'local produce' where possible - meat, veg etc. Out of commercial instinct I suspect, as they've seen a 'local' bandwagon, rather than any sustainability motive. Yet I've yet to see any local beers on sale - indeed it's exceptionally rare to get anything other than InBev etc lagers and beers.

Any suggestions as to why? After all, they're very often courting overseas visotors who presumably want to try something local, rather than the brews they can get anywhere.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Apologies in advance, I am going to do a mild thread hijack.

Having been grouchy frequently about CAMRA and their godawful schemes, this does remind me of one of CAMRA's that really impressed me when I saw it though, the CAMRA LocAle mark.

As you say it is probably due to it being a bit of a buzzword and a certain amount of campaigning, would be a good opportunity for CAMRA to go into them and promote the fact that they could sell local beers though.

This Space For Hire

Hotel chains like Premier Inn (prop Messrs Whitbread plc) will always have a central supply deal with one of the usual suspects and be able to buy their eurofizz at prices undreamed of by the free house landlord round the corner. And of course then sell it to their residents at prices that would get the guy round the corner lynched.

They could doubtless get local beer if there was the will to do it and I suspect some managers would be keen but stand no chance - that would require flair and initiative, not a character trait such corporates tend to encourage.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Hotel chains like Premier Inn (prop Messrs Whitbread plc) will always have a central supply deal with one of the usual suspects and be able to buy their eurofizz at prices undreamed of by the free house landlord round the corner. And of course then sell it to their residents at prices that would get the guy round the corner lynched.

They could doubtless get local beer if there was the will to do it and I suspect some managers would be keen but stand no chance - that would require flair and initiative, not a character trait such corporates tend to encourage.
    Unusually for a chain the Holiday Inn Sheffield actually sells cask Kelham Island Pride Of Sheffield at a price that should get them lynched though.

This must be a local initiative as I can't remember another HI that sells real ale, and I've stayed in a hell of a lot.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Spritzer Swallower

Yes, I'd not taken into account the fact that corporate hotels are likely to be under the same umbrella that shelters beer brands too. But it still seems worth a shove from CAMRA to remind them that real ale makes financial sense and fits in with the 'localism' agenda that the chains allegedly espouse.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Unusually for a chain the Holiday Inn Sheffield actually sells cask Kelham Island Pride Of Sheffield at a price that should get them lynched though.

This must be a local initiative as I can't remember another HI that sells real ale, and I've stayed in a hell of a lot.
    This one, the bar of the Norwich Nelson City Centre Premier Inn, sold the local Woodforde's Wherry last time I was there:

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/66600/

Didn't travellodge agree to stock the CBOB last year? At least that's a step in the right direction.

I must admit, I go a bit out of the way to stay in a pub with rooms rather than a corporate venue where possible (budget allowing)
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

The big cheap room hotel chains are plentiful down here in Eastbourne and most of the people in the pub/carvery seem to be more interested in the cheap food than the beer. I would have thought that most people staying in these big chain hotels base their selection on room price and location rather than whether the local brew is available from the bar. Most locals that would appreciate the local brewery being supported wouldn’t be seen dead drinking in amongst a sea of screaming kids and non pub goers when their local pub gives them what they want.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Spritzer Swallower

Just got back from a one day conference at the Leicester Marriott - a new, upmarket and very swish place, that prides itself on sustainability. Guess what was behind the bar...Becks, John Smiths etc. Given the move towards 'premium' products my guess is that a local 'craft' beer, properly promoted, would have been a real talking point.