Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chain Pubs

I do not think that any Ex Biter needs to be told that this site is named Pubs Galore.
    In my experience those ex members of the Dark Side are capable of reading ,writing and pretty good at arithmetic.

Chain pubs are a fact of life and it is a personal matter whether you love'em or hate'em. If I know the owners of a pub I will try to mention it in my review. I do not consider it as advertising the brand but informing the reader with another snippet of information ,which may save a wasted journey should the reader dislike pubs under that brand.
    Are we perhaps becoming a little paranoid about a certain pub chain that is a success across our nation. By its very popularity it has shown it is giving a lot of drinkers what they want. No one forces customers through its doors except perhaps the Chancellor and his damn tax increases. There are plenty of smaller pubs about still. Mr Martins pubs are a successful marketing phenomena which plenty of people like, but not to everyones taste .

Managed to get through that without mentioning Wetherspoons, 'Spoons or JDW once.........BLAST IT.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Sorry the BITE thing was my fault, what I was trying to say is that I think where BITE performs better than us (as they arguably do by showing this chains name) we can end up with an inferiority complex and try and compensate.

They simple solution is just that we show any chain we can find, which we will do eventually (although please don't ask us to start changing all the pubs names).

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Sorry the BITE thing was my fault, what I was trying to say is that I think where BITE performs better than us (as they arguably do by showing this chains name) we can end up with an inferiority complex and try and compensate.

They simple solution is just that we show any chain we can find, which we will do eventually (although please don't ask us to start changing all the pubs names).
    Bite might just perform better if they got it right. Click on chain pubs and you'll get a fascinating list of chains, many defunct. How long since Walkabout (41 pubs, it says) was treated to the humane killer.

Though they're all chains, there's a big distinction between branded chains, like JDW, Pubcos like Punch Inns and brewery tied pubs like Greene King. All down to individuality really.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I would happily acknowledge the pub ownership for any 'chain', be that Wetherspoon, Greene King or (say) Arkells.

All seems like useful information to me...
    I agree with you on that and i always say in my reviews which brewery owns the pub including Spoons,what i was trying to get at was that the only brewery or pub co that gets its name in large letters at the top of the pubs page is Wetherspoons which i disagree with.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Interestingly we have an M&B PR company contacting us with some of the M&B pubs details, so that should give us a starter for 10 on theirs when I have time to do this (albeit the list they have just sent we have sent back because the Nicholsons Beer Festival thread is more up to date )

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paris_Hilton View Post
    Four!
    five

I'm with 'rpadam' on this. If I know the chain or pubco and it is relevant, in it goes. It's simply information and something I like to see if using reviews, looking for somewhere to go. After all, if you were reviewing a car you wouldn't miss out the make or model, would you?
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Yes Please do Name them all if possible especially if its a Scream Edwards Or Harvester then I can then avoid them at all cost. Theres certain Pubs we all like too avoid.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Alesonly View Post
    Yes Please do Name them all if possible especially if its a Scream Edwards Or Harvester then I can then avoid them at all cost. Theres certain Pubs we all like too avoid.
    and if it's a Harvey's or Hook Norton so we can be waiting eagerly on the doorstep.

I also always name the the if I know what it is, but many chain pubs on the high street have no mention in any of their literature of who owns/manages the pub.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES