Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer crippling virus 0 v 1 Strongers

Hi Conrad, sorry my input has been down of late. I have completed my move to a rented one bedroomed bungalow . You know the type they keep for Old Folks. I call it Gods Waiting Room. There is not a good/ reasonable/ half decent looking granny any where. I am now even further out of town and further up the hill. Broadband is not yet an option but the licensee of my local allows me to hotspot. Well I do spend enough here ! Will do my best to work up a decent rant but the walk up the hill leaves me knackered.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Gah, sorry to hear that!

Life without broadband, I think I would go insane.

Insaner

I'll stay on me own

If however you wish to allow some humble site to advertise to you, visit that site. Whilst on the site (say PuG) click on the ABP logo again, and you will see the option "disable on pubsgalore.co.uk", select this and it will then allow adverts from that site through to your computer. It is nice for us to be able to advertise to you and certainly may help the site as it grows. But for some sites it is essential to their being able to run.

Hi Conrad,

I have never noticed any adverts while i am on PG and as for all this anti virus talk i dont understand any of it as usuall.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

We are very discreet in our use of advertising, if you look on the right of the screen under the login box there is a series of Google ads, with Adblock on they don't show.

If we felt the campaign was worth it we could run visual letterbox (long horizontal ads) just below the head of the page, it would kind of go where the pubs name and address currently goes. If we found it was irritating our regulars though we would probably set it so it didn't show when logged in, or only showed once.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Just had a quick look at Adblock, and it is embarassingly simple... Whilst on the site (say PuG) click on the ABP logo again, and you will see the option "disable on pubsgalore.co.uk", select this and it will then allow adverts from that site through to your computer
    Just road-tested that and it is indeed very simple. I will spend a couple of minutes unblocking some smaller sites at home this evening cheers for posting that as it's a good reference for future.

One or two on here may think they are green when it comes to computers but i am greener than grass and pea soup made specially for St Pats night so.......

......how do you know if you have got a virus, trojan, hacker etc or, if i had got one wouid i not need to be asking this question.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    ......how do you know if you have got a virus, trojan, hacker etc or, if i had got one wouid i not need to be asking this question.
    Just walking out to watch the footie, so hopefully someone will answer with more accuracy, but most people find out at the point they don't need to be asking this question, hence Ark's comment earlier about having a second machine to look up on.

The more advanced answer is that if you have a virus your computer will go wrong in some way, if you have a worm your computer may go wrong in some way, but will be most interested in passing itself on. If you have a trojan/hacker (hackers use trojans to get on your computer) you probably wont know until all your credit cards start working for someone else or you stumble across it with one of the aforementioned tools in this thread.

Let me know if you want a more earnest answer and I will see what I can do tomorrow, regardless you should have a virus checker on your machine if you are using Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    One or two on here may think they are green when it comes to computers but i am greener than grass and pea soup made specially for St Pats night so.......

The simple answer at this point is to download and install Spybot S&D, run it and see what it says.

I thought that I was safe with Mcafee, but the virus that I got a couple of days ago changed the desktop and wouldn't let me open any applications including Mcafee so in affect I had no virus software to fall back on. It was a .exe file and it downloaded itself without my permission as I'm very cautious after costly errors in the past. The internet was very laboured, but thankfully it still worked, and in between the messages flashing up saying that my life was over unless I paid $79 I managed to find a fix video on YouTube and download the cures. Still took me an age though and cut short the crawl I had planned yesterday.

Obviously I will not be renewing my subscription to Mcafee later in the year. In fact I was so angry I started making up an invoice that I was going to send to them for waisting my time.

Oh yeah, we have another computer that is the inlaws and it came in very handy!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    The simple answer at this point is to download and install Spybot S&D, run it and see what it says.
    Not personally used that product, but basically you will need to use something like that to have any confidence that your computer is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I thought that I was safe with Mcafee,
    Sadly you are not truly safe with any virus checker it is all just an arms race, good practices are essential (the key one being never run untrusted executables), but even then there are random viruses that can hit you, or just a momentary lapse.

The one tip though is don't use either McAfee or Norton, the free checkers are just as good and frequently the charged ones come with lots of fluff to justify their price, all the fluff really does is slow down your computer by running in the background.