Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Computer crippling virus 0 v 1 Strongers

I've found this enlightening. I'm an AVG and S&D user myself - both on Vista (grrrr) laptop (dual boot with linux in case something goes wrong) and W7 home computer. Chrome is the only browser I use now that the initial bugs have been worked out.

I use lloyds internet banking - haven't noticed a free anti virus with it yet though...
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

We got Mcafee free with Sky broadband, but now we are with BT snail express we lost Mcafee and better the devil you know we decided to purchase it at about £25.... Money that will not be wasted again!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Is Skybot actually anti-virus or just a tool for finding if something has got passed your anti-virus programme.
    Yeah, that is what I was fishing for from Quinno.

Glancing round the site it looks like it is a package specifically for spy ware which is a category that most anti-virus software isn't too concerned by. If you are running an up to date browser and don't go willy nilly installing toolbars and the like you should be relatively safe from spyware (although it never hurts to check).

It does have a resident portion that should be run alongside a good virus checker if spyware is a concern.

Glass Half Empty

I was once thrilled to hit on a website which promised it was all about barmaids of Melbourne, only to find it hosted viruses so severe they ruined my mobile phone. Alas I didn't manage to hit on any of the barmaids themselves, so I can't comment on whether they had viruses as well.

I didn't know mobiles could get viruses!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I knew it was theoretically possible, the only actual virus in the wild I knew about was an iPhone one that required you to have hacked your iPhone anyway.

I know there are forms of attack involving Bluetooth, but they are not viruses as they do not self spread, it has do be deliberately initiated by someone and spreads no further.

Certainly it is possible for web sites to attack phones though.

Glass Half Empty

Apparently mobile phone viruses have been around since 2004, but only recently likely to be encountered. www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-mobile-phone-virus.htm

The phone with which I visited the Melbourne barmaid website started behaving very strangely: repeatedly trying to access the net when I wasn't telling it to, refusing to when I was telling it to, doing weird things with the display and voicemail, etc. I never did get ot the bottom of it.

I've no idea whether we should be thinking about doing anything new to protect our phones.

'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    The phone with which I visited the Melbourne barmaid website started behaving very strangely: repeatedly trying to access the net when I wasn't telling it to, refusing to when I was telling it to, doing weird things with the display and voicemail, etc. I never did get ot the bottom of it.

Just to have my phone acces the net would be nice, I have tried & tried, asked the [no bloody] help desk but I remain firmly unconnected, which may be just as well

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Just to have my phone acces the net would be nice, I have tried & tried, asked the [no bloody] help desk but I remain firmly unconnected, which may be just as well
    My sister in-law has a smart phone and whe's always looking things up on the net, just a shame it always cuts out when she's talking to someone. I love my phone, text and calls pay as you go... £10 every couple of months - I'm either being frugal or I have no friends - take your pick!!!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    My sister in-law has a smart phone and whe's always looking things up on the net, just a shame it always cuts out when she's talking to someone. I love my phone, text and calls pay as you go... £10 every couple of months - I'm either being frugal or I have no friends - take your pick!!!
    You spend thrift! £10 every couple of months!

At the moment T-mobile are giving 30 min free per month for Jan/Feb/Mar to pay as you customers. I checked my balance this week and it gave me a resume of my latest history i,e. last call, duration, who too, free minutes etc. My last top up was £10 on the 21st July 2010 and i still have £3.07p left.
    From the home of the kebab of doom