Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should decide if a pub stays or goes?

The Rhydspence is a a charming property and was well used back in the 1960's when I first came to Herefordshire. A whiff of scandal back in the the 50's with a murder of a female guest who was a mistress of some one or other. An old coaching stop its a picture in black and white.
    It sounds as if it has fell to the ills of so many country pubs/inns. The place does not have a surrounding village of any size to support it so the travelling public would be its mainstay.The main road is not one of the busiest. A lovely spot but I would not want to run the place on a bank loan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rhydspence.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	487  

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

The £2 million point is clearly a matter of opinion, and in my opinion very wrong as demonstrated by the fact they are proposing to increase membership fees and remove the vote on raising them , probably for another ill-conceived and faulty moan at the monopolies commission.

I didn't actually say they'd spent it entirely wisely although I think you infered that, I may have been guilty of a nasty politician's trick there.

They might splurge some money on the Full Pint campaignif they realise the MMC/OFT claim is a loser

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I despise this tactic, telling people who have never visited the pub and will never visit the pub that they should put in objections and suggest the business is viable
    Why?

You may have never have had cause to visit a particular hospital, but one day you might be very grateful that somebody took the trouble to campaign that it was still open.

Same applies to other community facilities such as post offices, village shops, museums, art galleries, churches, castles, forests, beaches, wilderness areas, rural train and bus services, or whatever...

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not saying that there are no 'basket case' pubs that have no chance of a viable future but in many cases all it takes is one chancer to destroy a community amenity that has served its purpose for decades (and often centuries), and with the right management can continue to do so in the future.

With regard to the particular case of the Rhydspence Inn, I can certainly accept that the original posting contained some unfortunate and inappropriate wording. However, I think that the same can be said about some of the responses to it. Also, I am (perhaps wrongly) dubious about the motives of an owner who closed his pub because that naughty CAMRA boy called him some rude names in the playground.

Remember - "Once they are gone, they will be lost forever" - and be very careful what you wish for.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Why?

You may have never have had cause to visit a particular hospital, but one day you might be very grateful that somebody took the trouble to campaign that it was still open.

Same applies to other community facilities such as post offices, village shops, museums, art galleries, churches, castles, forests, beaches, wilderness areas, rural train and bus services, or whatever...
    Interestingly the majority of those however I pay my taxes for and don't expect a private owner to cough up good money after bad for, which for me is a clear distinction.

Well I've been told to drop in on the CAMRA forum. I've spent the last few days drafting and re-drafting an open e-mail to Hereford CAMRA.

At the end of the day, it matters little to me if this 'pub' stays open or not. What does matter to me is the attitude of a local branch of CAMRA towards one of the licensees in the area.
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

This is what the local CAMRA branch says, it's on the CAMRA Forum but I couldn't find it on the branch website

"STATEMENT FROM HEREFORDSHIRE CAMRA:

We will be sending a detailed report of our findings in due course to Herefordshire Council Planning Department. This information will then be in the public domain for all to see. Regrettably, it is felt inappropriate to share this information with a wider audience at this juncture.

This report will contain detailed evidence, including fully attributable sources, to support our claim that the marketing of the property has been inadequate. However, in so doing, it is not our intention to pass judgement on the owner for his actions.

The matters raised will then be judged by the planning authority on their respective (planning) merits.

Those who disagree with our views are free to make their own submissions to the planners in Hereford.

ENDS"

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well that is helpful then. I'm guessing their next suggestion is that the pub could also deploy drinks to any town in Britain within 45 mins.

Can I just check if something about that response is just bothering me or has anyone else picked up on this:

Doesn't it sound like the kind of thing a pubco would do?

I'm reading it as saying 'We have people who know what they are talking about, but we don't want you to know who they are in case you actually have a point and can prove it.'
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It hadn't occurred to me, but yes I could see a pubco doing it.

My reading of it doesn't even suggest they have people who know what they are talking about. But yes, definitely we won't tell you in case you poke holes in it. A feeling made worse by the fact that it presumably doesn't enter the public domain until the enquiry is complete.

I've been having a look at the full planning application and one thing that jumped out at me as being the possible CAMRA 'proof' that the valuation is unrealistic.

The pub has been on the market in recently for £750,000. In the literature for the pub it is explained that the turnover in 2007 was £225,000.

There are also details from when the pub was on the market in 2001. At that time it had a turnover of £317,000 but was only on the market at £550,000.