Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who should decide if a pub stays or goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    The 100 people in Conrad's hypothetical example would be perfectly capable of keeping the pub open, if only they could bring themselves to drink in it, instead of writing letters about it.
    Indeed. They've had 20 years to 'save' it by using it.
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Ed, I read your blog but it wouldn't let me post a comment otherwise I'd have said this there rather than here.

Some things bother me about this, 10 years without making a profit, I wonder how he funds that? I would have thought bankruptcy would have occured after about three years of no profit in a small business. Surely his bank would have given up by then?

Have property prices varied that much in Herefordshire and why would someone be willing to sell a million pound business for £350k?
    Erm, I don't know why a comment wouldn't get through on the blog - I don't know enough about how that works - sorry!

I can only presume that over the years he put more and more in from personal funds, selling off assets etc. It is his home as well as business. But the truthful answer is I don't know.

Glass Half Empty

Ed

I'm sort of coming round to being with Conrad on this one. Several posters have helpfully dug into the available facts to see whether either side of the story stacks up, but unless anyone has additional gems still to share, it does seem you could read it either way. So I'm thinking maybe it's time we all agree to give the landlord the benefit of the doubt and move on?

However, that doesn't help at all with the underlying question of what, if anything, can be done to address the relentless demise of proper pubs, it just means we've identified that "CAMRA having a go at the publican on the internet" isn't likely to be the ticket. Wondering if we should move on to a new thread on the wider subject.

OB
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ok, I hate posting after flouncing out the room, but it feels like I should add this as I want to make sure it gets seen.

Old Blue - Ed has already tried to answer your question last night on his blog, speaking personally I hope it goes somewhere. Also I am not sure if you saw his further post on the Rydspence which old boots followed up on earlier in the thread.

You should feel free to start the thread with the question about pubs, I think the one thing we have shown in this thread is that we have no shortage of opinions, which is good

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Glass Half Empty

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Old Blue - Ed has already tried"]tried to answer your question last night on his blog, speaking personally I hope it goes somewhere.
    Ah, sorry Ed, I hadn't discovered Blog Tracker. I hope this goes somewhere too. I'm new to this web forum lark, so please bear with me whilst I get the hang of it...
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    Ah, sorry Ed, I hadn't discovered Blog Tracker. I hope this goes somewhere too. I'm new to this web forum lark, so please bear with me whilst I get the hang of it...
    Pleasure to have more voices discussing different point of views. It is quite strange keeping up with who said what where, with comments on the blog, here, CAMRA forum and email

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Presented without comment, article starts on page 3.

http://www.herefordcamra.org.uk/latest_LR.pdf

A number of pubs in Herefordshire have been refurbished and reopened. It would appear that a couple of chaps have both money and faith to invest in local pubs. I do not know who they are but the local pub list would be shorter without their efforts. Well done and the best of luck to them.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    A number of pubs in Herefordshire have been refurbished and reopened. It would appear that a couple of chaps have both money and faith to invest in local pubs. I do not know who they are but the local pub list would be shorter without their efforts. Well done and the best of luck to them.
    I have noticed a few pubs reopening in Herefordshire , like this one http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/72935/ just up the road from you
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !