Ads not shown when logged in
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post

@OB - is that your mobility scooter outside the 'Mutton'?
    Mine is much sportier than that! The photo was taken in Peterlee and I suspect the mobility scooter is the vehicle of choice around those parts.

Excluding Cafe Rouge and Carluccio's etc I will endeavour to have a beer in all of the places listed on here. If I can't have a beer I will ask for the establishment to be removed if there is no photo or the photo is old and a drive-by, which is a very rare occurence. What usually happens is that I make a note on the pub's page saying that it is not a place to go for a beer.

an example: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10443/

I'm guilty of adding a few 'bar and kitchens' but I have been in all of them and had a beer without paying for anything but my drink. I'm no David Bailey, but I take a picture with my phone whenever I find a new place or have to report a name change. As my visits are usually in the evening this becomes difficult during the winter months due to the lack of light.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I tend to do more re-reviews over the dark nights, due to photograph issues.

If you review a place, then no need to feel guilty about it - i have added some places that i am unsure of, but at least can justify it. I have always failed to see why though i should add somewhere that i can't go in!
    MILD:

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    If you review a place, then no need to feel guilty about it
    Wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, the site wouldn't be here but for the contributors.

Beat around the bush, Soup? Just trying to avoid confusion. Sadly it is the truth that I don't have time to promise developments, we have some in mind and I am doing them when I get a spare 5 minutes, it frustrates me as well.

Conrad
    Last edited by Galore Admin; 15-02-2012 at 17:08. Reason: Added my name since I foolishly posted it from the wrong account

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Interesting debate, and I nearly jumped in at the outset last night when I was drunk, glad I didn't. Generally I share the early thoughts of Quinno and Gill.

If an establishment is already on PuG then I have no problem with that unless I have been there and have established personally that I don't think it should be - i.e. not just on the name or other peoples reviews (or lack thereof).

I can understand the benefit of 'drive by shooting' in order to build the site up, although of course the addition of a personal review would be be preferable. That of course pre-supposes that it is a recent photo of the pub or a recent review.

I see some photos of shops, offices, car parks etc. being added of premises that presumably used be pubs 5, 10, 25 or 50+ years ago. I say presumably because these are rarely accompanied by any details of the pub in question.

This does of course add an element, however vague, of a long ago historical element to the site, which may be seen as a positive aspect by some respected members.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I cannot understand the logic of taking a photo and not doing a review of sorts, even if to say it was closed at the time of visit. That was my problem at Newquay and Weston when I visited places listed on here without reviews, and I found it was a total waste of time (to me anyway).
    Since I'm guilty of posting photo's of a number of those "pubs" in Weston, perhaps I had better outline my reasoning. The day in question I was having my car serviced and had a few hours to kill. Weston was very under-represented in terms of reviews, photo's or even accurate listings on here. I resolved not only to photograph any pubs that were missing them, from the central area at least, but also to do an audit of all the (central-ish) pubs to ensure that the listings were up to date. That included a walk out to Kewstoke, which is probably two or three miles, and where I reviewed The New Castle (ironically not really a pub anymore).

My updates to the site that day included 30 or so photo's IIRC, as well as various closures, name changes and a couple of new pubs. Had I stopped to go in every one, even if it was only for a cursory glance, then I wouldn't have got round as many as I did and other listings would consequently be completely wrong.

By the way, I don't really have an opinion on exactly what should be included. I generally subscribe to the usual free entry idea, but can see that there might be valid exceptions to this.

This old (revived) thread about what should be included on, or deleted from the site, I see is very controversial.
    I agree generally with the view that a "pub" is any bar that you are free to purchase an alcoholic drink without paying an entrance fee, membership fee, or having to purchase a meal or accommodation. My view on this gets tested (and relaxed) when my favourite, traditional, multi Real Ale pubs, start charging an entrance fee (often just occasional nights) to watch a musical group or other entertainment. I would not like to see these pubs deleted.
    PuG has also now grown into a multi-interest pub site, eg. The historical interest in closed pubs. These old reviews and photos are amongst my favourite topics.

Different areas of the country have different needs (and problems). I was concerned by the comment that pubs with "no content" are deleted on request. This could mean large areas and towns are wiped off the pub map because no one has been there yet! Eg. Ammanford in Dyfed could lose 22 of it's 26 pubs. I believe these 'pub list' areas should be retained for someone to eventually get there to review them.
    Last edited by AlanH; 16-02-2012 at 11:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    What usually happens is that I make a note on the pub's page saying that it is not a place to go for a beer.

an example: http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/10443/
    "a cast of extraordinary characters starts to assemble "
    http://www.devere-hotels.co.uk/hotel...king/bars.html
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "a cast of extraordinary characters starts to assemble "
    http://www.devere-hotels.co.uk/hotel...king/bars.html
    Great . Now I have to put it back on the list.

Note to self, must try harder.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

So - after all of that - do the good PG'ers here agree that:-

With 'private clubs', these should only be put on now if a review is accompanying - hopefully including access criteria.

we simply accept other places (big hotels/bistro/cafe/strangey in-between things) for what they are, and while a review is preferable, they simply go on as normal, as they are 'free entry' at least.

If so - is this workable Dave? Are you happy to do it and..................... do you have the time?
    MILD: