Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Probably not, as Sikhism forbids alcohol. Pity really, as Sikh temples must provide sustenance to all comers of any faith or none.
    Not 100% if the new purpose built temple has one , but the old one certainly did , serving Tetley Smooth and Carlsberg , the place was a bit like a small leisure centre with a Gym , function room(for hire , maybe thats why they had a bar) as well as the main prayer rooms .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    there are limits, very definite limits, and candles, tea lights and associated dross are well on the far side of them

Ban 'em all I say!
    Darn right OB, as well as chopped wood next to gas fires and bloomin' vases and abstract sculpturey stuff. Ban smiling and Christmas too.

One handpull (aka handpump), selling Bathams MILD - all you need.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/63885/ I did review our local Temple!
    Last edited by Soup Dragon; 24-03-2011 at 15:49.
    MILD:

Ah Soupy! Batham's Mild, nice as it is, is not enough. How about Wye Valley Butty Bach? Or Beowulf Beorma? Or Two Towers Jewellery Porter? Banks's Mild is also a very nice pint. Even Batham's Bitter or Enville Ale? And Milton Brewery's Mammon, very strong, but very tasty. Black Dog Rhatas - amazing!

I'd say a pub needs at least four real ale hand pulls, two different pale beers and two different dark beers.

But not Purity...Oh no, nothing by Purity...

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post

I'd say a pub needs at least four real ale hand pulls, two different pale beers and two different dark beers.
    and a really good cider for the rare occasions it's merited.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Although many clubs have a fairly relaxed admissions policy, regarding being signed in, I still feel uncomfortable with the idea of being reliant on someone else to gain entry. This was the reason I never suggested Wakefield Labour Club (although later added by RogerB), even though it's a regular GBG entry.
    I agree with your rationale. The Good Beer Guide is, as it says on the tin, a guide to good beer rather than specifically a pub guide. An example I have come across this week is Bernie's Real Ale off-licence in Shirley, Solihull. It's been in the GBG for about 25 years or something but it's clearly not a pub ........ so I won't be adding it, taking a photograph or doing a review
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by General Staal View Post
    Ah Soupy! Batham's Mild, nice as it is, is not enough. How about Wye Valley Butty Bach? Or Beowulf Beorma? Or Two Towers Jewellery Porter? Banks's Mild is also a very nice pint. Even Batham's Bitter or Enville Ale? And Milton Brewery's Mammon, very strong, but very tasty. Black Dog Rhatas - amazing!

I prefer the darker ales but it seems the majority of beers on offer are on the paler side because that's what sells. E.g. the beer board in the Wellington is predominantly A and B category beers, even in winter, and typically only one or two D or E http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.u.../beerboard.php

Give me Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby and Highgate Mild anyday!

(By the way, GS, they are still working on the Boars Head)
    Waes hael!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Is 16 having an identity crisis? I'd have thought SPA was special pale ale, but Cat.D?

[QUOTE=Andy Ven;30385]http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.u.../beerboard.php

I've not come across colour classifications A-E before. Also I'd hate to have to order ales by pump number-reminds me of a dodgy Chinese! It gives the impression that the landlord/barstaff aren't interested in the beers themselves, and just see them as a commodity to knock out a la TESCO.
    Last edited by Wittenden; 02-04-2011 at 10:13. Reason: 2 f's in barstaff
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

[QUOTE=Wittenden;30392]
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.u.../beerboard.php

Also I'd hate to have to order ales by pump number- It gives the impression that the landlord/barstaff aren't interested in the beers themselves, .
    I don't mind that, tbh, probably speeds up service when there are a lot of beers on. Often ordered by number at The Crown, where they certainly aren't disinterested in beer. I believe that would be the case at the Wellie too.
    Just wish there were more pubs around where choice of ales made numbering likely!

[QUOTE=trainman;30393]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post

I don't mind that, tbh, probably speeds up service when there are a lot of beers on. Often ordered by number at The Crown, where they certainly aren't disinterested in beer. I believe that would be the case at the Wellie too.
    Just wish there were more pubs around where choice of ales made numbering likely!
    I suppose I don't really like busy pubs (did all that years ago)-didn't really care for the Market Porter, despite the wonderful range-preferred the nearby Rake, even though its really too achingly trendy for a bumpkin like me.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.