Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Thinking about it , didnt most clubs (social , legion , labour , workingmens etc) have their own brewery , Federation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    And just for Conrad , our local Cricket club (St Georges) is a GBG regular and is better than most of the surrounding pubs .
    I've noticed there are quite a few well regarded sports clubs that get added.

I must admit I raised an eyebrow when I saw a member adding the Darlington Snooker Club, but since it won the local CAMRA pub of the year award it pretty much had to go on. It is really helpful though when the person submitting it leaves a review to explain why it should be on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    This is exactly why we're being reassessed by the Visit Wales team (one day - it's completely unknown when they do it, it's a true 'mystery shopper' ) as an Inn

It's taken as granted that a hotel rating will be one less than an inn - for example we're a 2 star hotel but would probably be a 3 star inn (although we're aiming for 4*)

When I think of hotel, I think of stiff, smartly dressed staff, no ale and quite cold and characterless. Whereas an Inn I think warm fire, etc etc etc.

Restaurants galore sounds like a good idea, and hotels galore - no reason why listings can't be cross-listed.
    Good Luck with the assessment Eddie. Wonder why the difference between a hotel and an inn re. stars. I recall something that an inn had to offer refreshment or/and accommodation at any time of day or night to a traveller but I think that went out years ago.
    I find the term Hotel much misused these days.When I visited North London some were little more than licenced B& Bs where the beer was always on the turn. Travelodge and Travel inn were a better option in many cases.
    I used to drink at a pub called the *** **** Inn. The only accommodation it had was if the lady publican fancied you for a nights entertainment.Does that come under the heading "A warm fire,etc,etc,etc ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Thinking about it , didnt most clubs (social , legion , labour , workingmens etc) have their own brewery , Federation ?
    Quite right, the famous Federation Brewery is at Dunston, Gateshead and is now where Heinekin brew "Newcastle" Brown Ale, only for the moment though as it will soon close and brewing move to that well known geordie town........ Tadcaster. The Fed' brewery was started by a federation of northern workingmens clubs, there was also one in South Wales which I think became Crown.

Federation ale was sold in the bars in the House of Commons, but I don't think we ought to have them on PG . The clubs in the GBG tend to only let in people with CAMRA membership cards or sometimes those who wave a copy of the current guide, either way it's not really a pub.

geordie town........ Tadcaster

Ahem oldboots but sorry innit Tadcaster is Yorkie town?

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    geordie town........ Tadcaster

Ahem oldboots but sorry innit Tadcaster is Yorkie town?
    my irony is wasted here

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    my irony is wasted here
    Trouble is you used full stops, it is well known on the Intermernet you need to use smileys

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Good Luck with the assessment Eddie. Wonder why the difference between a hotel and an inn re. stars. I recall something that an inn had to offer refreshment or/and accommodation at any time of day or night to a traveller but I think that went out years ago.
    I find the term Hotel much misused these days.When I visited North London some were little more than licenced B& Bs where the beer was always on the turn. Travelodge and Travel inn were a better option in many cases.
    I used to drink at a pub called the *** **** Inn. The only accommodation it had was if the lady publican fancied you for a nights entertainment.Does that come under the heading "A warm fire,etc,etc,etc ?
    I wouldn't dare comment on entertainment for the staff/landlady! I've heard of a couple of pubs called the Seven Stars Inn, which one is it

I like to think of it as an Inn is a pub with rooms and food, a hotel is rooms with a bar and food...

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

I have given this thread a 'bump' having just read 'shoggie's ' post on the 'Review????' thread. He feels aggrieved because a venue that requires membership has been deleted. From memory I thought that this issue was quite clear cut, but having re-read this thread, it's actually more balanced than I recall. Maybe the issue of social clubs needs looking at again?
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

It seems a shame to delete any useful input, but I still think that anyone should be able to walk in and have a pint without paying an entrance fee, be that by membership or on the door.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES