Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Conrad,

How about setting up another website dedicated to Bar/restaurants..

Something like Baragalore or resturantsagalore whatever you call it..

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Smile

Don't worry, Conrad - not feeling picked on (that's the benefit of expressing your self eloquently).

I saw who'd added the venues, but I did think it odd. In one draft of my earlier post, I attempted to say something about personal interpretation of what constitutes a bar, pub or whatever came into play a little. Which is to say, I won't be adding Strada in Horsham, but somebody else might (they could just rip through the company website).

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    (they could just rip through the company website).
    This is not unheard of.

If I am honest I prefer to be as elitist as possible, in some ways I would like to make this a real ale site as that does seem to be where the most genuine interest comes from. The real challenge however is to try and find a way to make this site a site for all users, and I am not sure how we can go about that.

Some of the suggestions already gone by - like icons will definitely help this. I would also like to kind of head in a social networking direction, so if people like pubs that PaulOfHorsham has suggested are good, they might want to try other pubs he has liked, and if we can cross reference multiple reviewers then it gets even better. I am not really sure how we will go about this and it is still a long way off, but for me the interface should make the site behave in the way you want it to.

Called in at the Toby Inn, Worcester this lunch time and behold they have Butcombe Bitter and St Austell Tribute on hand pumps. This and the nearby Harvester resturant are local pubs to sizeable new housing developements. I wonder what the Harvester have put on?

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Called in at the Toby Inn, Worcester this lunch time and behold they have Butcombe Bitter and St Austell Tribute on hand pumps. This and the nearby Harvester resturant are local pubs to sizeable new housing developements. I wonder what the Harvester have put on?
    I have not been in a Harvester for years, but i have ventured into a couple of Toby places now because they do have real ale. I still tend to rate them as pubs, even if i eat, i will say the food was good etc, but i dont list the menu - but i do the beers!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I wonder what the Harvester have put on?
    I can safely say they do stock Pedigree, John Smiths and the usual stuff but no real ales

Source: Ladybridge, Tamworth

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

As to Social clubs, I kind of think they should be included oddly, having a lot of x-military relatives (who doesn't) I would like it if the Royal Legion was listed on here, whilst it doesn't help our Real Ale members, it would help those veterans who are visiting a town and want to find a friendly place to drink.
    I second this idea,as ex RN I and others would find this useful

By a conincedence I was in Bracklesham Bay the other weekend, just one pub, the Lively Lady http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/39475/ and in my review I actually did say walk down road to the Legion could be wise

The Legion there had two draught beers, HSB & Old Speckled, but as I was reviewing the LL I did not add that bit as not really relevant to LL

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    I can safely say they do stock Pedigree, John Smiths and the usual stuff but no real ales

Source: Ladybridge, Tamworth
    Thanks Hopwas I dont mind Pedigree. If I do visit a Harvester it because I have a " Chicken Moment" when we are out and about. It happens about three times a year.Chances are I will be drinking wine. Fish and chips go well with beer or tea. Just can'y take the bulk these days.

This is exactly why we're being reassessed by the Visit Wales team (one day - it's completely unknown when they do it, it's a true 'mystery shopper' ) as an Inn

It's taken as granted that a hotel rating will be one less than an inn - for example we're a 2 star hotel but would probably be a 3 star inn (although we're aiming for 4*)

When I think of hotel, I think of stiff, smartly dressed staff, no ale and quite cold and characterless. Whereas an Inn I think warm fire, etc etc etc.

Restaurants galore sounds like a good idea, and hotels galore - no reason why listings can't be cross-listed.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Things get ever more confusing , i know a couple of upmarket country house hotels that serve decent , local real ales in their public bars .
    The Shrewsbury Hotel is as the name suggests an hotel but also a wetherspoons , so pub or hotel ?
    And just for Conrad , our local Cricket club (St Georges) is a GBG regular and is better than most of the surrounding pubs .