Ads not shown when logged in
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    If any place that serves a drink (one small place i know simply serves lager/bitter and Guinness in cans) can be reported on, then surely 'Pubs Galore' is a misleading site-name, should it not be beer galore (no offence to cocktail drinkers)?
    Black mark for using the why is it called Pubs Galore argument. As I have said before fixating on this is not productive.

As to the removing listings that are not reviewed, whilst I personally have sympathies with the argument I am not happy to follow it. The photographers don't post on the forum and thus aren't represented, but they have put a lot of work into the site predating any of the posters on this thread in the last few days. Without their contributions the site probably wouldn't have been maintained and gone by the time you got here. If we are to forget how we got here should we remove all of your reviews when we find that we are getting a higher proportion of contribution from Facebook and you aren't valued by the new flavour?

Also I don't hold favour with deleting old photos, especially where the names have been changed, it is possible that we hold the only image of that frontage that is visible on the net, where do you start drawing that line, especially with all the fears about the speed with which pubs are closing.

Just in case anyone is not aware currently we do delete anything you request which has no content, and we delete anything with content where supported with a reasonable justification. I am happy to revise that where there is a concensus. Another thing to consider is that where we delete images they are gone for good.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Hi Conrad,

I wouldn't want to delete older photos of pubs - it is good to preserve the history.

As regards clubs and so forth, what about:-
    Leave on what is on (on a personal note, if i come across any i will try and give an advice note/review (CIU sign etc) )
    Any future 'private clubs' requested should have a review giving such info - especially as some clubs are not obvious by their name - it seems the Poacher's Pocket in Shard End (Brum) is now private for example.

Anyhow - see what people think. I fear the maps would become less useful if they start getting choked-up with pointers for places you can't get into - i have as many clubs as pubs near me - mind you, it will do my review stats some good!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Whilst that sounds reasonable, how can we tell if they are clubs when they are submitted?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Whilst that sounds reasonable, how can we tell if they are clubs when they are submitted?
    Most will have 'club' in the title - not saying you will get all of them, but a note on the pub request page may be needed too?
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Dave does the approvals, if he is happy to exclude titles with club in the name then I don't see why not (although it kind of invalidates your whole point about Poachers Pocket).

However it can just lead to a negative masking behaviour, I am extremely suspicious this is why we have ended up with a number of cafe's on the system which have "Bar & Restaurant" in the title.

I'll stay on me own

I have just had a look at two of Quinnos additions to the site the Red Lion in Crich and Leyton Orient supporters club and they have the same map markers as normal pubs do.

If these sort of places are going to be added to the site car'nt they have a different colour so has to warn people that these are not normal pubs with normal opening times and you might even have to pay for admission.

PS I do like these arguments they seem to be a bit thin on the ground recently.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I have just had a look at two of Quinnos additions to the site the Red Lion in Crich and Leyton Orient supporters club and they have the same map markers as normal pubs do.

If these sort of places are going to be added to the site car'nt they have a different colour so has to warn people that these are not normal pubs with normal opening times and you might even have to pay for admission.

PS I do like these arguments they seem to be a bit thin on the ground recently.
    Is it theoretically possible, yes, assuming the person adding them tells us it is a club.

Have I got the time to do it, no.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I cannot understand the logic of taking a photo and not doing a review of sorts, even if to say it was closed at the time of visit. That was my problem at Newquay and Weston when I visited places listed on here without reviews, and I found it was a total waste of time (to me anyway).
    Personally I find a photo without a review is quite useful on the basis that one picture is worth a thousand words, I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but for example which of these pubs near each other would appeal most?

Hearts of Oak
    Shoulder Of Mutton

Like Soupy I would not delete old pictures on the historical interest basis that Conrad alludes too as well. I see a few ancient postcard views have crept onto the site as well.

I got invited into a private member's club recently (thanks Brakslover) which I reckon would be a shoo in for inclusion if we ever do decide to include them. It served the rarely seen (in London) Palmer's Bitter, was located in a superb old builing overlooking the Thames, had the original dark wood panelling occasionally seen in pubs, and had a couple of snooker tables. To put the cap on it, it was called The Winchester, and even had a portrait of the great Arthur Daley in a display case! What class!! And they didn't display the blatant rattism experienced elsewhere, when I was denied access to a bar in a masonic temple on the flimsy pretext that I wasn't a mason! But they do have a dress code, which doesn't allow in those wearing T-shirts. Now I was wearing a T-shirt, but I can only assume that because it was the famous Pubs Galore T-shirt they let me in on the basis that such a well dressed person would enhance the overall ambience of the club!

But I'm not planning to ask for any private member's clubs to be added. We know what a pub is, and I'm planning to stick to the agreed definition - in general. But I reckon there might be the occasional exception to the rule that warrants special treatment (I believe a teetotal pub was added a while ago). In which case, fair enough but I would say that they have to be special cases like the LOSC.

Like Alan I don't mind seeing these issues re-aired from to time. Enough people contribute so I suppose in general we aren't bored with it yet. Anyone who is bored with the issue is of course free to ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Have I got the time to do it, no.
    @Conrad: Love it - just say what you mean, don't beat about the bush

I think the Poacher's Pocket is more the exception than the rule - as we all agree on here, nothing is definitive, or will please everyone! - my main corncern with the clubs as opposed to bary/restauranty/hotelly places is that clubs are technically inaccessible - they may not ask you for a membership card, but they should (unless CAMRA card, or other means get you in).

@Al - i thought about the pointer colours, but i think Conrad has just answered that - i refer you to the above!

@OB - is that your mobility scooter outside the 'Mutton'?
    MILD: