Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should be included on PG

Hybrid View

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Default What should be included on PG

Hi All

Here is one for you. Do you, as the worthy panel, believe that night clubs should be included on PG? Do you believe that clubs, as in things like Bloxwich & Leamore Working Mens' Club be included, as you have to pay a token day membership fee?

It is my belief that neither should, though a pub that turns into a night club can be included and a pub that is free to go in, even though it may be in a paying museum's grounds (eg Bottle & Glass, Black Country Museum) can also be included

What are your thoughts?
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I do not think anywhere that you have to pay to gain entry should be included, including entrance fee to museum or gardens

If you can just walk in off the street & buy an alcoholic drink then in it goes, rest leave out

Otherwise it may annoy some innocent folk expecting to have a pint to find they have to pay, say, £7.50 to gain entrance to Milestones Museum at Basingstoke in order to have a pint in the Edwardian style pub inside

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/milestones

Actually been in the pub, beer OK, good for those who like pubs without twigs

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    good for those who like pubs without twigs
    I whinged in one pub about the twigs, only to be told the broom had been left out
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

This has come up a few times, the other one 2 categories that popularly slip by are hotels and cafes.

What interests me more, is why people are adding some of these stretched definitions of pubs. If they have good reason it is worth knowing why as it may be that the site should be broadened in some ways. I have this worried feeling that someone may suggest we have icons to suggest what type of pub/cafe/nightclub/hotel/museum it is .

It was previously touched on by Hopwas and FILO in a Holiday Inn thread.

personally I detest places that pretend to be pubs but are really restaurants, clubs or residents only hotel bars. So on that basis my definition of a "pub" is a business that would

sell draught beer (keg or cask)
    not have a charge for entry (except maybe Christmas/NewYears),
    not restrict entry on the basis of membership, style, looks, etc,
    not require the purchase of food in order to purchase drink,

I would go with Faraway and Old boots . In my walks around Hereford I was surprised by the number of pubs that now open at 5pm + and are obviously aiming themselves at the club crowd. Having spent lots of time in Holiday Inns, Travelodges etc my opinion is a bar is better than no bar. Apart from the poor choice of beer, normally a smooth flow, and over chilled lager they do the job for a thirsty traveller bearing in mind you normally arrive late and these places are stuck out on a trading estate somewhere in the boonies.
    Hotel bars with free public entry have been part of pub scene before the days of the coaching inns.It gave the locals a chance to interact and rip off the traveller with little chance of any come back.I have known some good ones over the years.
    I would never think of entering a social club whether you pay or not.The places are so cliquey I would be afraid of sitting in someones seat or upsetting somebody's cousin 14 times removed.

While I am working upto an early morning rant I 'd like to get this of my chest. More pubs are charging for parking in an effort to stop commuter parking, fair enough. However to redeem your ticket you have to order something to eat. Your drinks bill is not good enough. On journeys we often have to stop and use the facilities and so have a couple of coffees or a half of beer.Its only a short stop but it bugs me having to pay parking to buy their coffee....rant over.

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

some of these stretched definitions of pubs
    I'm no expert on Kingston & Birmingham and we don't have a Carluccio's in Horsham; we do, however, have a Strada and that's an Italian restaurant! A quick Google indicates that you have, in recent days had a couple of restaurants added!

While some pubs are clearly pubs and there is plenty of personal interpretation in places, some restaurants are clearly not pubs by any definition!

Personally, I would have no problem with companion websites for hotels, nightclubs and the rest, with links to & fro, the inclusion of places that are clearly not pubs by any definition will, I feel, lead to a loss of business here as people will not feel they can trust the information, or there's just too much shown in an area for them to take in.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    personally I detest places that pretend to be pubs but are really restaurants, clubs or residents only hotel bars. So on that basis my definition of a "pub" is a business that would

sell draught beer (keg or cask)
    not have a charge for entry (except maybe Christmas/NewYears),
    not restrict entry on the basis of membership, style, looks, etc,
    not require the purchase of food in order to purchase drink,
    I think that OB summed it up earlier in the thread.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    I think that OB summed it up earlier in the thread.
    I'd certainly agree with OB's last three points. I think the first one is slightly tricker. I've added a couple of bars that don't sell any draught beer, so on that basis these should be deleted. Fair enough if that's the concencus, I don't have a problem with that. But there are many restaurants that have a small bar area at the front that although may be mainly used by diners there's nothing to stop anyone wandering in and having just a drink, and many of these will sell something on draught.

So if we follow that to the letter, we'd have lots of restaurants on here, but we'd be missing several bars that are just drinking establishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    I do not think anywhere that you have to pay to gain entry should be included, including entrance fee to museum or gardens

If you can just walk in off the street & buy an alcoholic drink then in it goes, rest leave out

Otherwise it may annoy some innocent folk expecting to have a pint to find they have to pay, say, £7.50 to gain entrance to Milestones Museum at Basingstoke in order to have a pint in the Edwardian style pub inside

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/milestones

Actually been in the pub, beer OK, good for those who like pubs without twigs
    There is working pub inside Black County Museum.. Bottle and Glass Inn.

However in order to drink there, you have to pay around £12 to get in museum!

There is also working pubs in Coalbrooke museum and Bass Museum in Burton. Both requires admission fee