Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Country

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Default Black Country

Plans afoot for imminent visit to an area completely new to me.
    Definitely on map, and I know we are missing some which sound brilliant (Park Inn, Jolly Crispin, Mount Pleasant, Black Bear) but time is a factor, are: Great Western, Beacon Hotel, Britannia, Crooked House (for novelty), Ma Pardoes, Bull&Bladder.

Now, I reckon train Brum-Wolvo (Grt Western) then Wolvo-Coseley, from where most seem within 3-4 miles, except Vine (6m). I'm gonna check possible bus connections but, where a taxi is needed, can any of you local afficianados advise whether we'll find a people carrier (6 passengers) & how much it might be for, say, a 3 mile trip?

Cheers, tm.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Plans afoot for imminent visit to an area completely new to me.
    Definitely on map, and I know we are missing some which sound brilliant (Park Inn, Jolly Crispin, Mount Pleasant, Black Bear) but time is a factor, are: Great Western, Beacon Hotel, Britannia, Crooked House (for novelty), Ma Pardoes, Bull&Bladder.

Now, I reckon train Brum-Wolvo (Grt Western) then Wolvo-Coseley, from where most seem within 3-4 miles, except Vine (6m). I'm gonna check possible bus connections but, where a taxi is needed, can any of you local afficianados advise whether we'll find a people carrier (6 passengers) & how much it might be for, say, a 3 mile trip?

Cheers, tm.
    If travelling to and/or from there by train, a PlusBus West Midlands day ticket at £2.50 would be very hard to beat for value.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    If travelling to and/or from there by train, a PlusBus West Midlands day ticket at £2.50 would be very hard to beat for value.
    Yes, I added plusbus to my Lon-B'ham tickets, but think I should have added to the Wolverhampton leg, looking at the map areas covered.
    I'll try & jib it anyway, the Brum map includes Dudley... I'll tell 'em rp advised it was good for the entire West Midlands!

Yes, I added plusbus to my Lon-B'ham tickets, but think I should have added to the Wolverhampton leg, looking at the map areas covered.
    I'll try & jib it anyway, the Brum map includes Dudley... I'll tell 'em rp advised it was good for the entire West Midlands!
    You should be OK - the 'zone' maps are a bit misleading as the shading goes off the edge. If your ticket destination includes +BUSWM then it should be accepted in all zones (and on the Midland Metro between Brum and Wolverhampton).

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    You should be OK - the 'zone' maps are a bit misleading as the shading goes off the edge. If your ticket destination includes +BUSWM then it should be accepted in all zones (and on the Midland Metro between Brum and Wolverhampton).
    Unusually, it's printed on a separate voucher (from train tkt) and reads 'Birmingham stations & Birmingham + plusbus', so may depend on how jobsworthy the Coseley area bus drivers are...

Unusually, it's printed on a separate voucher (from train tkt) and reads 'Birmingham stations & Birmingham + plusbus', so may depend on how jobsworthy the Coseley area bus drivers are...
    Perhaps this will set your mind at rest (as it is all one big 'West Midlands' zone really)!
    http://www.plusbus.info/sites/defaul...y%20points.pdf

Ah, but...

"Birmingham Plusbus £2.20 (now £2.50)- covers all of Birmingham city, extending as far as Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham International Airport, Solihull, Bournville, Dudley and West Bromwich. Valid on many bus operators and West Midlands Metro. Also valid from Erdington, Five Ways, Jewellery Quarter, Lea Hall, Perry Barr, The Hawthorns and Yardley Wood stations, as well as Birmingham New Street, Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham Snow Hill and Birmingham International".

For bus journey planning use this site http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/bus/busindex.aspx. You might as well book a taxi for the bits that are awkward by bus - the bar staff should have a phone number

You could give Richard a call to hire him and his minibus for the day. http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...try-Pub-Crawls I tried a similar route by public transport last February with mixed success. You might be able to talk Richard into taking you for £15 a head - more money but a better use of time.

May I add that my November visit to the Crooked House was a big disappointment. Sour MILD ! Otherwise some excellent pubs and you need to do the best of the Black Country in a series of one day visits.
    Waes hael!

Ah, but...

"Birmingham Plusbus £2.20 (now £2.50)- covers all of Birmingham city, extending as far as Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham International Airport, Solihull, Bournville, Dudley and West Bromwich. Valid on many bus operators and West Midlands Metro. Also valid from Erdington, Five Ways, Jewellery Quarter, Lea Hall, Perry Barr, The Hawthorns and Yardley Wood stations, as well as Birmingham New Street, Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham Snow Hill and Birmingham International".
    One more go...

If you look at the Birmingham PlusBus webpage:

http://www.plusbus.info/birmingham-p...-west-midlands

you will see that it states "A Birmingham PLUSBUS ticket gives bus travel throughout the West Midlands area. Your origin OR destination rail station MUST be outside the 'network west midlands' area in order to buy a Birmingham PLUSBUS ticket."

Same for Coventry, Solihull, Sutton Coldfield, Walsall, Wolverhampton, etc.

Really, it's fine!

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

And, on a related theme, it's been brought to my attention that London Midland's Great Escape is back for half-term! Sorry - no hyperlink yet (I have looked).