Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15,000 Pubs in 26 years

Default 15,000 Pubs in 26 years

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...000th-pub.html

I can't find an up to date link to this story (this one is when they reached 14,000 pubs) but my local evening paper reports that Pete Hill, his dad Joe (from West Bromwich) and John Drew (calling themselves the Black Country Ale Tairsters) started their pub crawl in 1984. When they get to the Water Mill in Kidderminster this Friday it will be their 15,000th pub on their tour of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. They have now covered over 200,000 miles.

They have over 30,000 photos - we need to sign them up to PG!

The report identifies their favourite pubs as the Powis Arms in Welshpool and The Highwayman in Sourton, Devon (sadly, neither has been reviewed on PG).

They are planning a book called Beer, There and Everywhere featuring tales from their first 3,000 pubs.

http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n36427126/
    Last edited by Andy Ven; 23-09-2010 at 18:06.
    Waes hael!

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

That’s a pretty impressive record. I’m a little suspicious of their claim that, over 14,000 pubs, they have drunk 21,000 pints of real ale EACH, given that probably half of UK pubs don’t stock it.

So I’m a bit wary of their note taking capabilities, especially as after 15,000 pubs they intend bringing out a book about the first 3,000 of them. I often can’t remember enough about pubs I visited 24 hours ago to do a PG review, let alone write a book about pubs I visited 24 years ago.

Got to admire them as a group though to keep this thing going.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

They were in the Express and Star last year. I think it is the same group. http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...s-a-pub-crawl-!!

That is dedication, I don't think Mrs Delboy would put up with me doing that many pubs !!

Bunch of lightweights blah blah blah

I'll stay on me own

I thought i was doing well in doing just over 10000 pubs since 1982 all of these have been written down in what i call my pub books this includes dates visited and what beer the pub was serving after reading about those three chaps doing 15000 pubs i now feel slightly deflated as i will probably never reach that amount of pubs.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I would love to turn Pubs Galore into a site where people can keep a journal of their pub travels and share them. Some of these totals are fantastic.

I'll stay on me own

I could list any of my pub crawls many of these were done with my wife.
    In the early days 1982 to 1995 most of the pubs visited were tied houses eg Bass Ind Coope and my local brewerys Shipstones,Home Ales,Kimberley and mansfield so i did'nt write down seperate beers just the brewery that ran the pub.
    I would be happy to do this but would some people be bored with this.

Although I dislike pouring cold water, I think I'm with Millay on this. Of course, it could just be sour grapes, even if I've ever been in as many as 15,000 different pubs, which I doubt, I'd never remember half of them.
    OK, , I salute them for their effort, even if I may doubt their stats
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I could list any of my pub crawls many of these were done with my wife.
    In the early days 1982 to 1995 most of the pubs visited were tied houses eg Bass Ind Coope and my local brewerys Shipstones,Home Ales,Kimberley and mansfield so i did'nt write down seperate beers just the brewery that ran the pub.
    I would be happy to do this but would some people be bored with this.
    Certainly some have regaled us very successfully with their tales of pub crawls, frequently they are well read but little commented on threads.

My hope is that one day we make it so that the main PG site can be used like a diary/journal, rather than just making it very focused on reviews as is. Allowing people to write slightly more about their experience and then if they want to they can recap it all through the site (without having to look at each pub, more like a diary), and even export it to a document. It is part of my long term hopes for the site.

A book about the first 6 years (1984-1990) of their 27 year pub crawl has been released, entitled Beer There and Everywhere, telling the tales of their 3,000 visits and the characters they met along the way. Published by Olympia and sponsored by Banks's Brewery. Call 07963 645203 to buy a copy.
    Waes hael!