Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stowford Press

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn View Post
    Yes, it did used to be many years ago. I'm not sure when the "Dry" got dropped, presumably sometime after Matthew Clark got their grubby mits on it and started it making it sweeter. Although apparently at one time there were two versions of it, a comparaitively dry one for the west country, and a slightly sweeter one for everywhere else.

Addlestones does seem to be cropping up a bit more often as well, although that was also Matthew Clark as they owned Gaymers. They sold it a year or so ago to the Magners lot.
    The lot that own Magners , C&C group also own Olde English , Gaymers , Addelstones , Tennants and just to confuse things Bulmers , not the Hereford one although they used to have something to do with Magners years ago
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Florence Arms in Southsea is a good venue to head for if you are an apple or pear -head, and very friendly.
    Ah yes, your recent review has prompted me to revisit next time I venture down Southsea, but this time before I have had a few in the Barley Mow and others in between

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    The lot that own Magners , C&C group also own Olde English , Gaymers , Addelstones , Tennants and just to confuse things Bulmers , not the Hereford one although they used to have something to do with Magners years ago
    Since Bulmers ( Hereford ) lost its marketing way , was split up and sold off local taste for the stuff has apparently waned. The youngsters drink bottles of Magners. Stowford Press is everywhere and Old Rosey a favourite way of scrabbling your brains.

I am uncertain what happens at the Hereford plant these days. There were some redundencies and I think the cider making moved up north ( a Scottish and Newcastle brewery ? ) with the bottling being done in Hereford . This might however be a complete load of rubbish.......nothing new there then.

I'll stay on me own

An interesting article, although no plans to sell it on draft by the looks of it. I have to take issue with a couple of the comments in their press release though:

"a taste profile that met consumer needs for a sweeter drink" - who are these people who want sweeter ciders? I've never met any. Everyone I know who drinks cider (and there's a few!) hate the sweet ones.

"premium cider rivals such as Bulmers and Magners" - What? Bulmers and Magners are premium ciders? Who are they trying to kid?

I'm not sure if this is a good think or not. To be fair to Magners, they have rejuvinated the whole category, which has in turn benefited other producers, so maybe the same will happen here.

We've been on Stowford Press for some time now. I can't remember the last time someone asked for a Strongbow - always been a 'Stowfords' or 'Old Rosie' asked for!
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

I'll stay on me own

I am not a Cider drinker but heres a bit of imformation about a new cider Westons are bringing out.

This is a Westons quote

"A refreshing, contemporary carbonated cider topped with Cider ICE.Matured in oak vats to give a smooth apple taste which is cold filtered for a clean and bright appearence.
    Together on draught with Westons Premium Cider is Cider ICE-NO added water,just PURE Cider ICE.
    Featuring a unique dispense your pint consists of 2/3rd's Premium Cider which is poured first followed by the last third of pure Cider ICE.
    Westons are driving this unique innovation with an exclusive cider only available through the exciting new Cider ICE dispense system"

Sounds brilliant does'nt it and how does the ice get through the pump?

This imformation was taken from the latest Nottingham drinker and they have renamed this new drink Slush Puppy.

Any thoughs on this.

I used to love Slush Puppies when I was younger - Great way off getting the kids drinking cider!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

Thatcher's already do this with their Gold, it's available in some pubs as "slush". Only seen it a couple of times though, so presumably not really taking off.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Sounds brilliant does'nt it and how does the ice get through the pump?
    watch the video
    http://www.westons-cider.co.uk/Cider-ICE/

"I'm the king of the world!"
    Last edited by hondo; 09-02-2011 at 10:02.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"