Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drank in at least in every English County

Quote Originally Posted by hopwas View Post
    There is simple way to solve this problem.. check pub's postcode. Lets say if this pub is in Staffordhire and other in Warwickshire, if it got Staffordshire postcode then place it in Staffordshire section.

What do you think?
    That raises another problem, Post Codes are based on "Post Towns" and don't take into account the county. I can think of a number of pubs with a Leeds (West Yorkshire) post code that are actually in North Yorkshire, the same thing happens with Northallerton it's the administrative centre for North Yorkshire but it has a Darlington (Co Durham) postcode.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Lichfield has Walsall post codes, i think
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    That raises another problem, Post Codes are based on "Post Towns" and don't take into account the county. I can think of a number of pubs with a Leeds (West Yorkshire) post code that are actually in North Yorkshire, the same thing happens with Northallerton it's the administrative centre for North Yorkshire but it has a Darlington (Co Durham) postcode.
    I see your point. Seems my solution is thrown out of window then..

Funny old world.. these English counties eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    Lichfield has Walsall post codes, i think
    Yes you are correct Sir..

Tamworth has Birmingham postcodes.

Funny old world.. these English counties eh?
    not 'alf mate, ask Soup Dragon to tell you about Detached Portions of counties before the 1880s reforms then you will be confused. Was it Stourport that used to wander about between three different counties?

I love those old maps by John? Speed showing all the detached bits. Little Hereford was in Shropshire plus a few more bits floating about.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Chichester has Portsmouth post code, which must p*ss the wealthy burghers right off

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

yes, john speed

It has always gone on - if you check the Domesday Book for Lancashire, i think it has area of north wales!

William the Conquerer wasnt one for political correctness it seems - and the entries are not in Welsh!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

There is simple way to solve this problem.. check pub's postcode. Lets say if this pub is in Staffordhire and other in Warwickshire, if it got Staffordshire postcode then place it in Staffordshire section.

What do you think?
    I think I am very late to this conversation. Everyone else has answered it for me.

We used to do it your way and had no end of complaints for all the reasons stated already. Currently each subdistrict of a town (village for simplicity) has a county identifier attached to it, and the pub will match the county of its town/village. We do retain its Postal town's county as well. As an example of that take Staffordshire,
    - there is a list of Postal towns (Burntwood, Burton on Trent, etc.),
    - postal towns can have villages (Burton on Trent has Alrewas, Anslow, etc.)
    - then after this there is a list of Villages also in Staffordshire so the first Alstonefield is part of the postal town of Ashbourne (Derbyshire), but is itself in Staffordshire. If you were in the Derbyshire page and show the fillages of Ashbourne, Alstonefield will be there.

It is a horribly complicated system, but it is the best compromise we have found, really though the Search Site is the best way of getting round.

As to how we know which county a Town/Village is in, we rely on all you good souls to correct us.