Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 30 January 2011)

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'll go with Brewdog 5am Saint (at White Hart, nr Liverpool St).
    It's the second time I've been surprised by the colour (for Brewdog), and then by the flavour which seems contrary to the appearance, in a similar way to Dark Star's Over the Moon.
    Anyway, it was served in perfect condition - so important for the first of a crawl.

I Had so many different Ales this week its very hard too say which one was the best but A few That stand out were The Incubus I had in The Ship on Wednesday & Worthington's White Shield & Double Stout & White Park Moonshine I had on Friday. So I will go for the Worthington's White Shield.

Worthington's White Shield
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

A mini crawl of Greenwich on Tues, the Nicholsons crawl on Weds, a surprisingly decent selection in Bishops Stortford on Sat and an afternoon on the river in Putney yesterday so plenty of choice this week. I will opt for the Orkney Raven at the Bricklayers Arms in Putney as it helped numb the pain that I was about to receive at Craven Cottage.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

A very good weeks drinking ,with the most enjoyable Nicholsons ale trail,a night at The Falcon and then a post match trip to The Wheatsheaf and Market Porter resulted in a bewildering choice for BOTW.However,I'm with trainman and have to agree that the standout pint for me was BrewDog's 5am Saint,a glorious red ale but with a most distinctive and quaffable taste,consumed in The Falcon.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    a surprisingly decent selection in Bishops Stortford .
    Never though I would see the day when the words "decent beer" and "Bishops Stortford" were mentioned in the same sentence.I have failed on this task over many years,but glad you managed to find somewhere acceptable,I will read the reviews with interest.

The Green Dragon had five Dark Star beers on all week, including an interesting pint of M&M Porter which slipped down very easily despite being 6.5%. The highlight however was the Dark Star Sussex Extra Stout, which didn't last very long although the barman hinted that they might have it back on again soon. Another worthy BOTW from Dark Star.

One other beer deserving a mention was the Hammerpot Bottle Wreck Porter, which rounded off a fine week for dark beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Never though I would see the day when the words "decent beer" and "Bishops Stortford" were mentioned in the same sentence.I have failed on this task over many years,but glad you managed to find somewhere acceptable,I will read the reviews with interest.
    Given what I had prepared myself for I had a surprisingly decent little session whilst doing the rounds. There were certainly no outstandingly classic pubs but the ones I found were at worst average with a many above average and some with quite a lot of potential. The art deco Nags Head was quite impressive albeit on a Sat lunchtime it was a bit too much like a family diner. For the record my visit encompassed the Jolly Brewers (TT, Landlord), Castle (Toad, Tadpole), Cock (Adnams, Explorer), Nags Head (McMullens, Chancellers Revenge), Red Cow (Buntingford, Twitchell), Star (Brentwood, Gold), Bricklayers (Saffron, IPA), Half Moon (B&T, Dragon Slayer) & Rose & Crown (H&H Olde Trip). I don't think that's too bad for a town of supposedly poor pubs and not even a Wetherspoons to fall back on. The only poor quality ale was the Tadpole in the Castle - everything else I had no real problems with. I would be quite happy if my hometown offered a similar selection.

Oh, and we won the match as well so that made everything look a bit better!
    Last edited by RogerB; 01-02-2011 at 11:54.

Baum on Tuesday, Manchester on Thursday, Baum/Regal Moon on Friday, Leeds on Saturday. I'm spoilt for choice.

Runner up slot goes to Thornbridge Wild Holly tried in The Palace in Leeds.

Winner is Crown Brewery Brooklyn Black tried at North Bar also in Leeds.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

A very quiet week overall, but I'm more than happy to have Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild as BOTW.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.