Visit the a swift one site

A couple of weeks ago Will posted about the wonderful Ossett 'B2K' with its massive hit of citra hops. Well, I have now come across its smaller, less potent but equally tasty brother.

On the bar at the Rat & Ratchet is the latest in the Mallinsons Space series. 'Binary Star' is a light coloured 4.7% beer that is again full of the wonderful flavours imparted by the Citra hop. There are masses of fruit flavours in there, I found mostly mango notes but others were there as well to make it a refreshing beer, that lacked the alcohol background that the Ossett beer imparts.

The hop itself is an American hybrid that has been around for about a couple of years but has only recently started to be used regularly by British brewers. It is a combination of Hallertau Mittlefruh and US Tettnang, with various others strains also playing their part. An alpha acid rating of 10-12 % gives it a bitterness,but not to the point of being astringent.

If you get chance to get down to the Rat then at the moment you can be treated to both the Mallinsons and Ossett side by side on the bar to compare and contrast, (in the interest of science obviously !).

Another winner from the Mallinsons brewery and shows that not only does Tara brew great beers, Elaine can as well, since this was one of her brews. Watch out for the next Mallinsons single hopped beer as this will be 'Citra', I, for one, cannot wait.

More...