Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: booze calculator

Former Pubs Galore Coder

It amuses me how these sort of diversions occur. Been off and read the Wikipedia explanation now .

I'll stay on me own

Having read that most forum users will have to be more carefull with their hips in the future.

The "unit" is fixed at 10 millilitres of 100% abv (which equals 1 litre at 1%) or 8 grams of pure alcohol by weight and so a half pint at 3.5% is very nearly 1 unit (0.994).

The way to work it out is multiply the ABV by 0.284 for a half or 0.568 for a pint (these are the litre equivalents of a half and a pint) 3.5 X 0.284 = 0.994.

The arbitary bit is the number of units per week or per session the health facists recommend. This is actually a number plucked from the air as an arse covering exercise by "experts" put on the spot by some health minister many years ago. it is not based on serious research or put in more technical terms, it's utter bollox.

When I said to my nosey doc' I averaged 15 pints a week he reckoned that was 30 units and I was a binge drinker, I didn't have the heart to worry the poor chap by telling him the actual number of units was a lot higher .

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The arbitary bit is the number of units per week or per session the health facists recommend. This is actually a number plucked from the air as an arse covering exercise by "experts" put on the spot by some health minister many years ago. it is not based on serious research or put in more technical terms, it's utter bollox.
    That makes more sense and rings a lot of bells.

You need to tell your doctor that you're German.

Their arbitrary limit set by their health facists is 34 units.

Just shows what a loads of old bollocks it is.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    You need to tell your doctor that you're German.
    I thought the place of birth on my records was a dead giveaway for "ra boozin"..................Glasgow .

(that is a hauf n hauf symbol isn't it?)

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I thought the place of birth on my records was a dead giveaway for "ra boozin"..................Glasgow .

(that is a hauf n hauf symbol isn't it?)
    And to take us full circle are you planning to claim your free measuring glass

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    And to take us full circle are you planning to claim your free measuring glass
    I thought the place of birth on my records was a dead giveaway.... if it's free I'll have it

When I said to my nosey doc' I averaged 15 pints a week he reckoned that was 30 units and I was a binge drinker, I didn't have the heart to worry the poor chap by telling him the actual number of units was a lot higher .
    I like my quack, he and I share the occasional pint in a local hostelry. When I was put on a permanant, quite high, dose of Warfarin he asked me how much I drank on weekly basis, I said, accurately most like, too much. His only comment was ' Okay, just don't suddenly change anything'.
    And I never have..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

The figure plucked out of the air for men is now 28 units which is 2 pints of weak beer a day. I told my doctor that I drank the average weekly allowance – I just didn’t tell him that it was on Tuesday night!!!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES