Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Spoons Beer Festival.

Default 'Spoons Beer Festival.

Having to be in Hereford for most of every day has meant my catering arrangements have revolved around Wetherspoons which is one of the best for food I have found. The beer festival has been a pleasant diversion. I have not been keeping track but enjoyed Woods Old Cow, Lancaster and Mr Grumpy to name a few. A Czek dark beer however was far to heavy for me and I left half of it. A number of the lighter brews appear to have the same tasting finish of lemon/grapefruit. I cannot be bothered with ordering thirds which often leads to rolling eyes amongst the locals because it slows up service even more.At £1.69 the beers are selling fast and the name clips change quickly.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I popped into the Acorn, in Lichfield, on Saturday, with friends. I tried a few, but was not really impressed to be honest. Luckily, it was the last place we did!
    MILD:

Strange you should say that about the beer. I have started ordering halves after my last few selections resulted in unfinished pints. Tried Carolus (8%) but found it a dense , chewy brew much like the Czek stout like brew I left. My preference is ales in the 4%>5% range as long as thr citron like finish is missing .Far to much of that about.
    Sat there people watching I have noticed the festival has bought in newcomers to the pub who do not stay long. The regulars stick with their pints of Ruddles or lagers.However the ales are being turned over quickly, even faster on a weekend.

Yesterday I had a pint or two of Everards Old Original. Its a full flavoured pint without that citrus finish I have found in so many of these festival ales and dislike.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Yesterday I had a pint or two of Everards Old Original. Its a full flavoured pint without that citrus finish I have found in so many of these festival ales and dislike.
    Yes - Mr A, not a citrus, or fruit beer fan - nearly as bad as
    MILD:

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Hey Mr Arkwrite - I had the Bohemian Schwarzbier and I thought it was alright - not the best cask stout I've had but perfectly fine. That was in the Lynd Cross where, to my astonishment, they had a good selection of festival beers. I say astonishment because the choice in that place is frequently rubbish - as few as 2 ales sometimes (can we have an option to provide second and third opinions please PG-meisters?).

Actually, that's the only festival beer I've had - maybe I'll pop back next week.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    (can we have an option to provide second and third opinions please PG-meisters?).
    In the works, sadly to do it right is not an easy change, it is however in our priorities.

I had crafty pint (I wasn't supposed to while on duty but what the hell ) at White Swan in Solihull. I opted for Caledonian's Double Dark which was in top notch. It tastes like burnt coffee and liquorice into one.

Very next day, I went to Solihull's other wetherspoon Assembly Rooms and had pint of Black Panther (I forget name of the brewery!) It was not too bad and bit weak on taste side otherwise drinkable

It must be my taste buds . I had a pint of Black Panther last night and could not finish it. It proves I am a bitter man in more ways than one.( Mind you the fish I had to send back did not help the experience, but it was replaced without question and in a pleasant manner.)
    I must learn to put my specs on when ordering my pint . Only the large print shows up otherwise and I often make mistakes. There have been one or two stouts I have tried and enjoyed, Marston Oyster Stout comes to mind but its a rare find.
    My comments on beer are from my personal taste which I admit is quite narrow but I do like to try new names to me.Looking at customers at the bar of my age we do seem to be a conservative ( in choice) group by and large when it comes to what we drink.Despite cheaper beers on offer we seem to carry on with what know and like. Yeah B,O.F's one and all.

Smile All Hail to the Ale : 'spoons beer festival

By way of a change to the famous Red Dragon in Penderyn ( and I think we’ve all heard of Penderyn now!) , My friend and I went to the ‘spoons in Abedare ,Yr Ieuan ap Iago.Getting the negatives out of the way first, I have to say that three ales does not make a beer festival. First up was Mr.G’s Lunchtime Ale,3.7%.My rating 6/10.Derived from New Zealand, but I fancy brewed in the UK, this had the generic ‘spoons ale taste, but my friend quite liked it.
    Next up was Caledonian Double Dark Oatmeal Stout, 4.6%, my rating 7/10.A splendid stout with an excellent aroma, and a pleasing bitterness.
    Saving the best till last I then tried Moorhouse’s Black Panther, 4.8%. My rating 8/10.Brewed in Burnley Lancashire, I’m sure Soup Dragon would approve of this superior ale.The colour is what Dylan Thomas would have described as ... sloe black, slow, black, crow black , if you see what I mean. Perhaps a difficult ale to categorise, laying somewhere in that tantalising void between a stout and a strong ale. Nevertheless it was a delight to savour,plus I benefited from saving 50p with a CAMRA voucher!