Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Short Trip to Manchester - What Hostelries should I not miss

Default Short Trip to Manchester - What Hostelries should I not miss

Have a short trip to Manchester next weekend, mainly to see Roxy Music at the MEN Arena.
    Will only really have Saturday Evening and Sunday lunchtime available so won't have a lot of time for pub visits, especially as 'Her who must be obeyed' will probably wan't to drag me around the Arndale Centre.

So would be grateful for any local intel on what iconic Manchester City Centre institutions I should make sure I catch whilst Ooop Norf...
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    Have a short trip to Manchester next weekend, mainly to see Roxy Music at the MEN Arena.
    Will only really have Saturday Evening and Sunday lunchtime available so won't have a lot of time for pub visits, especially as 'Her who must be obeyed' will probably wan't to drag me around the Arndale Centre.

So would be grateful for any local intel on what iconic Manchester City Centre institutions I should make sure I catch whilst Ooop Norf...
    Marble Arch, Angel, City Arms, Knott, Fringe, Peveril Of The Peak, Britons Protection, Mr Thomas's.

That should keep you going for a while, although there are loads more.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

If you fancy the idea of drinking in an old underground toilet then the Temple of Convenience is a must. A unique pub and close to the Peveril of the Peak.

I am a salmon !!

Although i haven,t been down Manchester for a while i always like to call in the Smithfield Hotel, Swan St which is only just round the corner from the Marble Arch.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Many thanks Gent's...

Map done and I'll let you know how I get on next week..

Very good weekend in Manchester was had...

Managed to do more than I anticipated as we got up there without delay on Saturday lunchtime and managed to negotiate with the wife that if I agreed to a full day in the Salford Keys and Trafford Centre on monday, she'd skip the Arndale centre, so we spent the rest of Saturday and all day Sunday exploring the pubs and museums.

Managed to do the Fringe, Peveril Of The Peak, City Arms and Mr Thomas's of the ones recommended.

Britons Protection was shut on the Sunday and worryingly had a Business to Let sign outside.

Tried to catch a pint in the Angel when we emerged from the MEN Arena on Sunday night at 10.40PM but didn't realise that it must be 10.30 closing on Sunday as it was already locked up.

Of the ones I did try The Fringe was my favourite, mainly because on walking through the Northern Quarter on early Saturday evening to come across the current wasteland that is Swan Street , I thought you'd sold me a dummy and wasn't prepared for the excellent, warm welcoming real beer heaven hidden inside.

Also took in two of the Wetherspoons and thought the Waterhouse was a pretty good conversion and above the usual Wetherspoon drinking barns.
    Tried out the two Nicholsons and really liked the Old Wellington, primarily because I like the idea of pubs that have been moved and built from scratch to preserve them, even if it is a bit of a tourist trap.
    Even popped in The Shakespear on Fountain Street because I noticed they had Boddingtons oin draft and thought it would be rude not to try it in its spiritual home. Won't be making that mistake again....

And the down point of the weekend....
    Walking through The Print Works at midnight on Saturday to realise that I'm 30 years too late....
    Mind you I'm not sure I could have coped with all that exposed flesh when I was 20, and how they do that when its -1oC is a mystery to me.....

Anyway, many thanks for the recommendations, a great weekend was had..

[QUOTE=Gann;27285]I thought you'd sold me a dummy and wasn't prepared for the excellent, warm welcoming real beer heaven hidden inside.

QUOTE]

Oh ye of little faith and trust.

And the down point of the weekend....
    Walking through The Print Works at midnight on Saturday to realise that I'm 30 years too late....
    Mind you I'm not sure I could have coped with all that exposed flesh when I was 20, and how they do that when its -1oC is a mystery to me.....
    as the Kaiser Chiefs sang

"Girls scrabble round with no clothes on
    To borrow a pound for a condom
    If it wasn't for chip fat they'd be frozen
    they're not very sensible" I'm getting old
    Last edited by hondo; 03-02-2011 at 12:25.
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Britons Protection was shut on the Sunday and worryingly had a Business to Let sign outside.

Now reviewing my notes and realised I made a mistake above, It was the Peveril Of the Peak which was shut, not the Britons. And on doing a bit more research it looks like the Peveril doesn't open till the evening on a weekend...

Now reviewing my notes and realised I made a mistake above, It was the Peveril Of the Peak which was shut, not the Britons. And on doing a bit more research it looks like the Peveril doesn't open till the evening on a weekend...
    The Pev only opens on a Saturday afternoon if Man U are at home.