Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bonkers or Bargain? Wetherspoons January Sale

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I usually enjoy the breakfasts. My gripe with some is when they dump the toast and preserves on top of the baked beans! Some are really good and bring on a separate plate. Never seem to realise that a clean knife would be useful though.

I’ve eaten in a Spoons twice and the first time was the Gatehouse in Highgate (Alesonly is a fan) where I had a mixed grill that I thought was very good and the second time was the Eastgate in Northampton where the breakfast was fantastic except for the giant boiled mushroom, wtf. Three pints of Guinness and a fry up – the perfect start on a Sunday morning before a four hour journey back to the south coast!

A good Spoons is a reasonable pub and a bad Spoons is abysmal.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

To be fair though, a town with a population of 5,000 that supports eight pubs is doing pretty well. My town has a similar population and struggles to keep three pubs going (one is currently closed, allegedly for refurbishment, but there’s no sign of any activity and the other is really more of a restaurant). Typically a town with eight pubs is going to have a population of around 15,000 I would have thought, so on that basis perhaps a JDW doesn’t seem quite so out of place.

Do I love them or hate them? The first time I came across them many years ago was The Commercial Rooms in Bristol, which Conrad will be familiar with. I thought this was great, it was a fantastic refurbishment of an impressive old building and in spite of now being a pub still retained many of the features from it’s previous days including boards on the walls detailing past presidents of the club going back a couple of hundred years.

They did reasonably priced, cheap food and a good selection of beer. Plus wherever I was in the country I could almost guarantee getting a pint of Blackthorn in a JDW, which in most other pubs was a rarity outside of the West Country. As such, I tended to hunt them out wherever I was and have been in branches from Bournemouth to Edinburgh and even The Metro Centre in Gateshead (although disappointingly that one didn’t do Blackthorn!).

They were very good at their brand promotion. A JDW is obviously a JDW, unlike many of the other chain pubs which hide their identity a little more. They even produced a newsletter/magazine every month or so, full of positive stories about JDW’s up and down the country like charity fund raising efforts and letters from people who travelled round the country trying to get to every JDW there was.

Over the years though I seem to have become less keen, and now rarely go in one. Although they do still have some impressive buildings, in a way they all seem exactly the same without much character. I’ve gone off the food, whether that’s because it’s gone downhill or my tastes have changed, I’m not sure. Service can be very poor (the Dragon in Weston-super-Mare being a consistently bad example) and because of their bargain basement prices they can attract, shall we say, the dregs of society.

So overall, not really a fan these days, although I’ll happily go in one if there’s nothing more promising about! And the curry and a pint deal is still pretty good, one that’s since been copied by countless other pubs.
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 31-01-2011 at 11:44.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Well the 'spoons bargains continue in February.This coming Valentines Weekend you can get two steaks and a bottle of wine (rose,chardonnay,shiraz) for £14.99.

Cheap date ?Bargain ? I've got a feeling that a divorce may set you back a bit further.