Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonkers or Bargain? Wetherspoons January Sale

Default Bonkers or Bargain? Wetherspoons January Sale

Feeling a bit peckish after a long meeting in Manchester the other week, I popped into the Waterhouse for a spot of lunch. So, for my money, I got:

• Fish and chips (small, but to me adequate, portion)
    • Medium-sized mug of cafe latte (as an alternative to the advertised cup of tea)
    • Bread and butter (as an extra)
    • Pint of something tasty (forget exactly what) from Ilkley Brewery

Total cost? £5.74 (and if I had remembered to take a CAMRA voucher, that would have been just £5.24) - madness!
    Last edited by rpadam; 21-01-2011 at 19:42.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Feeling a bit peckish after a long meeting in Manchester the other week, I popped into the Waterhouse for a spot of lunch. So, for my money, I got:

• Fish and chips (small, but me adequate, portion)
    • Medium-sized mug of cafe latte (as an alternative to the advertised cup of tea)
    • Bread and butter (as an extra)
    • Pint of something tasty (forget exactly what) from Ilkley Brewery

Total cost? £5.74 (and if I had remembered to take a CAMRA voucher, that would have been just £5.24) - madness!
    It is hard to argue with value like that. I am a fan of Wetherspoons ( and I'm not afraid to say it ! )

Yes, they have thier faults but on the whole, they offer fantastic value.

A reasonably priced and varied menu
    A good selection of drinks ( including a choice of ales )

Add that to excellent toilet facilities, disabled access, Wi-fi, etc etc and its no wonder they are always busy.

I have been in 4 spoons in Newport today and they were all busy. I went in 4 other pubs and only one of them was busy. The other three had a total of 5 people in between them.

I hate to see any pub closing down and I have no doubt that Mr Martin has put the final nail in a lot of coffins.

I am a salmon !!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

The last few times I ate at Weatherspoons I have ended up wishing I had eaten a pot noodle instead, similar calibre of food and cheaper. The last being a godawful burger before the Birmingham meet (their idea of quality seemed to involve making it out of 50% condiment).

So from my perspective, bonkers.

Wetherspoons... shut down the local pubs.... Shut down the local cafes... I'm waiting for them to shut down the local brothels!
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    The last few times I ate at Weatherspoons I have ended up wishing I had eaten a pot noodle instead, similar calibre of food and cheaper. The last being a godawful burger before the Birmingham meet (their idea of quality seemed to involve making it out of 50% condiment).

So from my perspective, bonkers.
    Yes I have had some awful meals in Spoons but I have had some decent ones too. I once had a breakfast in the spoons in Middlesbrough which has to be the worst I have ever had. The one I had yesterday in Newport was pretty good. Large brekkie and a drink for 2 of us for about a tenner.

I am a salmon !!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Yes I have had some awful meals in Spoons but I have had some decent ones too. I once had a breakfast in the spoons in Middlesbrough which has to be the worst I have ever had. The one I had yesterday in Newport was pretty good. Large brekkie and a drink for 2 of us for about a tenner.
    Moving aside from my pathological hatred/jealousy of Wetherspoons. This does raise another issue myself and Dave have frequently stumbled to in Bristol.

Do pubs change their chef every month. We have yet to find a pub in Bristol where we can pretty much guarantee a good meal any time we go in. I swear that there are a couple of good chefs in the city centre who just move round the pubs changing jobs repeatedly.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Spoons - tosh generally, unless you prepare for diasppointment and try to avoid it - pick easy food they can't mess-up and i drink half pints as they are frequently flat. I go in them as i do every pub and have enjoyed a couple of them - but in general, i dislike them.
    MILD:

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

None around here locally [one threatened], so my experience is limited, of those I have been in 3 I walked out of without ordering anything, one I had an awful cardboard vegeburger smothered in chilli sauce, and one I quite like, fair value food and not too crowded, probably because it is a historic pub & thus not a large dank cavern with dirty tables

I cant say I ever eat in the spoons I may of done once or twice but thats all I prefer the Greasy Spoon Cafes Or Fish & Chip Shop. I find the Spoons OK for a few Pints but not the sort of place I would stay for a few hours. Theres some good Spoons where the Ales are always good but theres also some bad ones as well. Problem is when you get a good manager that seeems too look after the Ale and serve a good range of constantly good Ales they always seem too get moved on after a year or two.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Generally I find the Wetherspoon 'Sales' a waste of time, nor do I like the Beer and a Whatever offers. Why would I want to drink a Ruddles with me burger? If it's like Conrad's, the beer'll make it worse, and, if it's decent, the beer will only spoil it.
    That said, by and large I'm a Wetherspoon fan, often wearing their tee-shirts to advertise it, but I approach an unfamiliar one same as I do all strange pubs, cautiously.
    In a JDW I expect the beer choice to be reasonable, the food to be inexpensive and, as often a not, to have to wait get served. Compare this to most other pubs where I don't know if there will be any real ale, whether I can afford the food, let alone eat it, or get served promptly even if the staff outnumber the customers..........
    When I find a pub I like, I stick to it, and I'm in no hurry to visit one I don't again.
    Last edited by runningdog; 22-01-2011 at 10:16. Reason: Bluidy fingers, I wish they'd either learn to spell, or at least listen to me brain..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........