Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does The Team Think

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I guess i haven't contributed to this as i just do not know enough about it, but it has made interesting reading.

I just dont think we can sort much out until we address the problem we have with our electoral system - it is at the root of many a problem - as OB says - always an eye on a ballot box, in which hardly anyone casts a vote anyway.
    MILD:

I feel I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

I'll do more reading

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie86 View Post
    I feel I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

I'll do more reading
    No, Ed - it was me going off the point!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I think you actually got straight to the heart of it really. From a scientific perspective, narcotics like ecstasy and cannabis are currently viewed safer to an individual taking them than alcohol (ethanol).

Our Government (and the opposition) have made a decision about those narcotics based on political reasons, which is to be fair their job. Sadly they feel the need to waste the time of the Drugs Advisory Council asking them to advise when they are going to do what they want anyway, presumably in the hopes that they can later claim the council backs them up.

As I have said in another thread I don't personally use illegal narcotics, but I do think it is a waste of Police time chasing round after a bunch of students getting stoned.

Just to say thanks to Arwkrite for starting this thread as well, it is one I was tempted to start, but as I clearly have such a polarised view already, I was concerned it would turn into a preach. I have really enjoyed reading what everyone had to say though, and it did liven up the forums at the same time as it was all kicking off in the press as well.

Default a little knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I guess i haven't contributed to this as i just do not know enough about it,
    well neither do the MPs who try and legistlate away the problems of drugs!

I am unsure as to what I have opened here. Pandoras Box or a Can of Worms ?
    I was offered cannabis by friends when I had a nervous breakdown but refused it in case it got me back smoking tobacco. Had to stop the prescription stuff the psychos. gave me as it drove me further round the bend. I dont think me and the drugs industry are compatible.A quiet pint or two with people who know me are enough to chase the black dog away these days.

On further reading I do see the point Conrad is making about risk factors. Somebody on the radio ,my main source of news. mentioned horse riding risk factors. Quite how that got into the argument I dont know. Might as well stick in DIY deaths ,I know some who are addicted to their weekly fix at B & Q.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    On further reading I do see the point Conrad is making about risk factors. Somebody on the radio ,my main source of news. mentioned horse riding risk factors. Quite how that got into the argument I dont know. Might as well stick in DIY deaths ,I know some who are addicted to their weekly fix at B & Q.
    That was a rather surreal comment by Professor Nutt that horse riding is more dangerous than taking ecstacy, which allegedly when Johnson requested his resignation he said not in my constituency.

I think as you say, if you get into that stat you may as well attach a health warning to everything. It is also why he should compare that group of drugs to alcohol, tea and other narcotics really.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

As a bit of follow up to this, Prof David Nutt has an editorial item on New Scientist posted today. I think it is the clearest illustration of what he is actually saying, I don't actually agree with all of it myself, but at least it is first hand for once.

I cannot think why anyone would do anything for free for a government of whatever leaning. Unless it is for probable self aggrandisement. Just the thing to liven up conversation at a cocktail party of peers "As you are no doubt aware I am a government adviser ...waffle... waffle...waffle" ( Yawn, Oh Gawd Nutts on the band waggon again).

There is also the belief in some quarters that if you get one hundred professors in a room you will get one hundred diverging opinoins.Best thing to do is to retreat quickly from the room locking the door behind you and throwing the key down the nearest drain.

Its enough to drive any cannabis smoking horse rider high on ecstasy to the nearest pub.