Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 23 January 2011)

The White Horse near Carnaby Street had the Ginger on Friday but when I asked for it they said it wasn't available .

It's a hard choice this week with some good selections - Whitstable Pearl Of Kent, Dark Star Meltdown and even Greene Kings London Glory came close but I my choice was the second option at the White Horse, Rudgate Jorvik Blonde. It has been in the pool of Nicholsons guest beers for a couple of months now and I always enjoy it when I see it so a worthy addition to my list.

I Only had a few Pints of beer again this week due too work commitments this including a pint of Tetleys Smooth in the B/L . So Beer of the week in was only Harviestoun Haggis Hunter which was A nice pint.
    But as I'm on a weeks leave from today I will make up for it over the next week.

Haggis Hunter
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Funnily enough, I'd not heard of Northern Brewing either until Wednesday, when trying a pint of their TwoTone Chocolate Stout, in Manchester, when out with 'ROBCamra' and 'oldboots'. As it was the last one of a heavy day I can't be too objective, but I seem to remember it being rather tasty.
    We get Northen Beers all the time in The Dale. Most of them used to be based on a Northern Soul theme e.g. Dancer, All Niter, Run For Cover, Out On The Floor, Hit And Run etc.

These days they brew a much wider range of beers and so the theme is much wider. Hence Two Tone Special Stout which as A&H says was in very good nick in Odd last Wednesday.

However, despite its strong claims I'm going to go for Dow Bridge brewery Praetorian Porter tried at NWAF.

Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons is coming soon at The Baum along with BG Sips & Evolution. Blue Monkey brew some of my favourite beers and 99 Red Baboons was my BOTW a few months ago.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

A decent week with one or two to choose from:

Oakham Bishops Farewell
    North Cotswold Winter Solstice
    Teignworthy Mad Dog

A spirited bid from Mrs Phat for Oakham Citra has just fallen short as my BOTW goes to an old favourite, Everards Old Original.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I find it strange that some are just seeing Northern beers. I have had 25 different Northern beers plus some Blakemere beers that they brew under. Earliest recorded now is in 2004. All have been Birmingham and northwards. None south of the Midlands.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    I find it strange that some are just seeing Northern beers. I have had 25 different Northern beers plus some Blakemere beers that they brew under.
    38 different ones for me.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    However, two beers really stood out for me. Marble '3.9' and Dark Star 'Hophead'. I can't see anything else coming close this week . The hard part's going to be choosing between them.
    Didn't manage any other outings after the NWAF, so after much umming and aahing, I'm going for Dark Star 'Hophead'.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

A bit late (too much choice and too little memory) but in the end it came down to Butcombe Old Vic Porter or Marble 3.9. I'm going dark and nominating Butcombe Old Vic Porter