Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 23 January 2011)

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I had thought with losing my taste buds with this rotten cold I can't pass on to anyone that I wouldn't have a beer to put on here this week, but I had an excellent beer in the Smithfield on my way to NWAF this lunchtime.

BOTW is Milestone Dancer the Prancer. I enjoyed the flavour of it, and it was while enjoying it that I realised I was actually tasting the flavout of a beer.

The beers at the NWAF were ok - that's all I can say because nothing was outstanding and by the same token I didn't find anything distasteful either. That's what a cold does for you. Brilliant festival though in a super venue, and good food too. I love these events as great social gatherings and meeting folk from all over the country.
    Last edited by gillhalfpint; 21-01-2011 at 21:11.

Did a quick bit of no-frills European travel this week, with two outstanding pints (well, half litres to be accurate) encountered - the Černý (dark beer) at the Pegas Hotel micro-brewery in Brno and the 7% Winterbock at the first-rate 7 Stern Bräu brewpub in Vienna.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...6691#post26691

Could be a mission for those in striking distance, & a pub on my (long) target list.
    Let's hope the change of line-up doesn't affect Marble quality.

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

There have been a few good one's for me this week as I found two of my favourites, Old Hookey and Fortyniner. Also had a nice half of the 7% Buntingford Imperial Baltic Stout and both Inferno and Citra from the ever reliable Oakham Brewery. However my BoTW is going to one from a brewery I hadn't encountered before, Northern Brewing. In the Mermaid in St Albans yesterday they'd just put on a cask of Soul Rider and everyone was raving about it. Very nice beer that reminded me a bit of the Caledonian beers.
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Just about recovered from the lurgy so took it steady this week
    Holdens - Golden
    Cambrinus - Yardstick
    Cambrinus - Deliverance
    Teme Valley - Cold Comfort
    Everards - Beacon
    Loddon - Razzle Dazzle

BOTW Loddon - Razzle Dazzle
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    However my BoTW is going to one from a brewery I hadn't encountered before, Northern Brewing. In the Mermaid in St Albans yesterday they'd just put on a cask of Soul Rider and everyone was raving about it. Very nice beer that reminded me a bit of the Caledonian beers.
    Funnily enough, I'd not heard of Northern Brewing either until Wednesday, when trying a pint of their TwoTone Chocolate Stout, in Manchester, when out with 'ROBCamra' and 'oldboots'. As it was the last one of a heavy day I can't be too objective, but I seem to remember it being rather tasty.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Same beer as last week for me, White Horses' Black Horse Porter.
    Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge and Abbot Special Reseve pushed it close though.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Couple of quick visits to' The Flier'-Sheps master Brew and Late Red on good to excellent form:my BOTW is Late Red. I'm hoping for something a little more exciting next weekend.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Had a good pint of the fabled Exmoor Beast this week, but there was one beer that managed to outshine it - Blue Monkey 99 Red Baboons - great name, great beer!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

My BOTW should really be called " Unusual Beer of the Week".The Ginger Beer was brewed by William Brothers Brewing,the people who make Fraoch Heather Ale.It tasted like a ginger beer soft drink but with some alcohol thrown in to get to a 3.8%ABV.It was deliberately cloudy and had a strong ginger taste,pleasant enough for a pint with some food but I couldnt contemplate a whole session on it

The Nicholsons beer festival this week should be a good source for my next BOTW and will be a welcome change from a very abstemious January so far.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 24-01-2011 at 10:20. Reason: Poor english