Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: HMS Ark Royal - last chance to see her

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Default HMS Ark Royal - last chance to see her

This weekend sees your last chance to look over HMS Ark Royal in Pompey dockyard, for free

HMS Ark Royal will be opened up to visitors for the last time during a weekend of celebrations for the axed aircraft carrier, the Royal Navy announced today.

Members of the public will be able to step on board for free on Saturday, January 22 and Sunday, January 23, to say goodbye to the most famous ship in the world.

The Ark will be open to the public at Portsmouth Naval Base between midday and 4pm on Saturday, January 22 and 10am and 3pm on Sunday, January 23.

There will be access to the hangar, flight deck and operations room. Entry to the ship will be through Portsmouth Historic Dockyard's main entrance at Victory Gate.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/newshome...und.6688795.jp

Oh yes, there are 7 pubs near the Dockyard gates, plus 7 more in nearby Gunwharf Quays, so even the most thirsty should be satisfied

For the Northern contingent among us, Pompey play Leeds on the same Saturday

Fifty of the sailors will then go to Fratton Park and be paraded on the pitch ahead of Pompey's match against Leeds

I don't think I'll go, me blubbing in me beer is not a pretty sight.

signed...Gutted of East Dorset.

A toast to all who sailed in her and her illustrious predecessor's
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Did anyone go. I didn't, now I wish I had..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Yep, I went on Saturday, over 5000 people on that day, luckily we were early so the queue went only halfway backto the dockyard gate , later on it reached outside the gate

If any one knows layout of the Dockyard, the Ark was at South Railway Jetty, and the queue snaked around the jetty, past HMS Victory and all the way back to the main gate

Glad I made it, although I never served on her [or any carrier come to that], it was very busy on board as one may imagine, but I reckon worthwhile as bit of history, especially for the grandchildren

Double whammy really as I found The Invincible pub near main dockyard gate is also now closed, and that was a typical dockyard gate pub, full of Naval memorabilia, no idea what will become of the pub yet.

Spooky or what? The Ark Royal is "Invincible" class carrier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ensign.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ark1.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	486  
    Last edited by Farway; 24-01-2011 at 12:48. Reason: pictures added

This Space For Hire

We got there about 2PM yesterday, traffic was a nightmare and they'd closed the back of the queue off, not letting any more join, which was a right pain as we'd detoured specially en-route from Dorset to do it. Had the complete hump with Portsmouth by then so we didn't have a drink in it to teach it a lesson and carried on to Harvey's land.

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    Yep, I went on Saturday
    Good on yer
    I find history gets closer and more personal as I get older. I lost my Uncle Clive on HMS 'Glorious', an 'Uncle' on the previous 'Ark Royal' and the father of one of my best friends was killed aboard the USS 'Enterprise', all during WW2..........

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Good on yer
    I find history gets closer and more personal as I get older. I lost my Uncle Clive on HMS 'Glorious', an 'Uncle' on the previous 'Ark Royal' and the father of one of my best friends was killed aboard the USS 'Enterprise', all during WW2..........
    Have you spotted their names on the Naval Memorial on Southsea common?

I know my ex was gobsmacked when she spotted her uncle's on there, killed when HMS Vanguard exploded at anchor in 1917