Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sportsman in Attercliffe Road, Sheffield

Default Sportsman in Attercliffe Road, Sheffield

I have been unable to find The Sportsman at 504 Attercliffe Road. The Sheffield Pubs website lists 13 pubs of this name, but not at this address. Google maps identifies 10, again none at this address.

It is possible that the venue now called MJ's - "Sheffield Premier Karaoke Venue" is what used to be the Sportsman. I must admit I was too depressed after photographing countless boarded up pubs today to take a photo of this "premier venue". Take a look at the street view on Google maps.

As MJ's is at about the right place and looks like it might still be a pub, can you please change the name of this Sportsman?

There is a building further up Attercliffe Road (approx. no.546) which is now called La Chambre ("the top class venue for liberated adults") which looks as though it might have been a pub at one time, and again I refer you to the street view on Google maps.

In the whole of Attercliffe Road there is only the Carlton (and possibly the Greyhound and the Don Valley) that would be worth a visit. A thoroughly depressing experience. When I've recovered, I'll go back to try the Greyhound and the Don Valley and post some reviews.

Wish me luck.
    Come On You Hatters!

Oops, sorry, that should be the Sportman (no S in the middle). Still no hits on Sheffield Pubs, but Google confirms 504 Attercliffe Road.
    Come On You Hatters!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi sheffield hatter,

I just did a reverse postcode match, and I can see the address there, but no likely looking businesses, so I have just deleted it. Seems easiest in this case.

Thanks for that.

I'll stay on me own

Hi Conrad & Sheffield Hatter,

The Sportsman was at 504 attercliffe road i went in this pub on the 20 march 1986,this pub was a Wards tied house and looked pretty ugly from the outside a bit like an estate pub but on the main road.
    It was listed in the Real Ale Guide to Sheffield 2003 as Bar Indigo,i did take a photo of this pub in 1986 but have not put it on a disc at the moment so i will not beable to put it on PG.
    Incidently the pub was a lot better inside than it looked from the outside and the beer was very nice.
    I hope this has helped sort this pub out.

Alan.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Alan,

I'm guessing you will re-add it when you get to it

Thanks

This pub is now called The Buzz Stop, so I have re-added it, together with photo. If you compare my photo with the street view on Google maps, you will see that the original green tiles have been painted over with silver paint. Nice!
    Come On You Hatters!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Thanks for that.

I'll stay on me own

Hi Conrad and Sheffield hatter,

I am glad that has finally been sorted out but the pub did'nt have green tiles they were a cream colour and green tiles would have looked a bit odd on this pub as the upper half of the pub looks like a 50s type estate pub.

I would also like to say this was my 3000 pub so me and the wife had a celebration in here, and i will not beable to put a photo of this pub on the site as it was taken with an old 110 camera and asda car'nt put those films on disc.

Alan.

Alan,

Pity about the photo. It looks like the tiles were changed since your visit.

If you open Google maps and type in 504 Attercliffe Road, Sheffield you'll get a street view of the pub before its recent facelift: I agree it does look a bit strange, with the typical '60s estate pub above and the old fashioned green tiles below. Perhaps that's why the new owners have painted them silver - they've got more taste than I credited them with.

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Goodness that is a bit special. Link to the streetview.