Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Some times you have to feel sorry for the owners

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Some times you have to feel sorry for the owners

Pink hotel needs 'white' approval

Obviously only getting part of the story, but it does sounds comical. I actually think the pink looks quite nice in that picture, although it does look like it may be clashing with the adjacent building.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Having been in Llandudno last year, and posted same on PG as well, I have every sympathy with the council on this one, the sweep of the bay and the buildings on it is reminiscent of Bath, why spoil it for a whim & pink paint?

There was a similar uproar round here a few years back, the Thomas Lord at West Meon http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/59775/ In it's first revamp the exterior walls were painted in what could only be called sh*t brown

After a vociferous campaign, letters to local rags etc, it went to creamy white as it is today, much more in keeping with a rural village

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

The Roebuck in Cannock was once painted yellow with black spots - it was the HQ of the local Monster Loony Party

It is now a normal pub!
    MILD:

Former Pubs Galore Coder

See all of those sound fine, showing my complete lack of taste I am sure . I like to think it just creates personality.

The bit I find mad in the original report is that they are having to wait on approval of the white paint, although I am aware I don't know the full story so it may well not be quite that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Pink hotel needs 'white' approval

Obviously only getting part of the story, but it does sounds comical. I actually think the pink looks quite nice in that picture, although it does look like it may be clashing with the adjacent building.
    As regular visitor to Llandundo, I dont recognise the hotel. However council can be bit picky when it comes to rules about what you are allowed and what you are not allowed to..

Dont forget we are in Big Brother nation..

Some places look quaint when plastered with different colours i.e. Tobermoray and Aberareon. Its been awhile since I visited Llandudno but I do remember most places on the front were painted white and it did look good.Just think of The Crescent at Bath being a kaleidescope of colours

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    Some places look quaint when plastered with different colours i.e. Tobermoray and Aberareon. Its been awhile since I visited Llandudno but I do remember most places on the front were painted white and it did look good.Just think of The Crescent at Bath being a kaleidescope of colours
    Not sure if I had mentioned that I used to live in Bath. I did in fact live on the road just behind the Royal Crescent, it always amused me that the front was such a source of pride (and rightly so, it is very pretty, although I always preferred the Circus just down the road) and the back was just a bolted together hodgepodge. I swear some of the people there had somehow managed to get planning permission to extend their second floor, and left the ground floor indented.

I see your point though, I can't imagine a house being painted pink in the Royal Crescent, it just would never work even though I have no problem with places standing out.

Back in my single days I lived for a time in Cheltenham, a one bedroomed flat in a faded Regency mansion near the famous Cheltenham College for the female offspring of the filthy rich.In the early seventies the Regency parts looked down at heel. Not been back since. A lot of early jerry building went on when these sorts of places were built to keep up with fashionable demand.Herefordhire has lots of old houses painted all sorts of colours out of the Dulux Pastel Shades Catalogue. In town it aint so bad but out in the countryside it does not seem to sit so well.