Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pub Crawls

If I don't have at least a half I'll mention it in my review as there has obviously been something wrong with the service.

Longest crawl was 34 pubs from midday until midnight during a crawl of Islington last year. I even stayed in the last pub for four pints whilst talking rubbish to the locals. It makes a big difference if there isn’t much travelling between stops.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    What exactly constitutes "doing" a pub during one of your crawls? I could "do" 34 pubs in a lunchtime if all I bought was a packet of crisps and ate them on the way to the next one! If it's a half in each one that's not bad. If it's a pint in each one I am surprised you're still here to tell us.
    Hi Roger,

Doing a pub means having a half or pint of bitter, mild or lager for me it was always bitter or mild and the odd pint was also drunk.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I am sure Alan did a post explaining that he drinks at least a half in each pub he visits, failing miserably to find that post with a search now though.
    Hi Conrad,

I have said at one time or another on this forum that for me to say and list a pub i have to drink at least a half pint of bitter.
    I have had a look on my posts but car'nt find this at the moment.

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    You would be busy finding 22 pubs that you can crawl round in Oldham now, certainly within the three and a half hours, although in 83 it would have been possible. If you wanted to do it now and drink real ale in each one i would say it is damn near impossible to find anywhere near 22, although there is no mention of real ale in the OP.

Non the less 22 in 3.5hrs is top crawling.

I am now going to put my hat on so that i can take it off to you sir.
    Thanks for that crossste,

I dont know which ones had real ale on but here is the list and the brewerys that were running the pubs at the time.

1:White House Inn Samuel Smiths
    2:Spotted Cow Oldham
    3:New Museum Oldham
    4:Tommyfield Lees
    5:Snipe Inn Oldham
    6:One and Three Hotel Marstons
    7:Bulls Head Wilsons
    8:Miners Arms Wilsons
    9:Greaves Arms Oldham
    10:Hare and Hounds Oldham
    11:Bird in Hand Wilsons
    12:Artisans Rest Oldham
    13:Grapes Hotel Wilsons
    14:The Royal Wilsons
    15:Royal Oak Robinsons
    16:The Waterloo Wilsons
    17:Oldham Hotel Marstons
    18:The Railway Wilsons
    19:Black Swan Hotel Lees
    20:Black Horse Wilsons
    21:Spinners Tavern Bass
    22:Farewell Inn Oldham

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Having read the thread so far I can only say that I am a real lightweight, in drinking terms that is, not mass unfortunately

I have a pint, then move on, but I really could not even crawl up Albert Road in Southsea, 9 or 13 pubs depending how you classify the start

Maybe if I had half in each it would be possible, but that would be a bit like "Getting off at Fratton" for me

I am in awe of Al

Just Missed the Round Evil Gazebo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    but that would be a bit like "Getting off at Fratton" for me
    Ha ha ha. Glad to see the Billy Mill roundabout referenced on that link - that was the euphemism of choice for us in the north-east, being the last exit from the A1058 (coast road) before reaching the seaside. Every area of the country has its own.
    Last edited by Evil Gazebo; 13-01-2011 at 20:28.
    And you can really taste the hops!

Thats a memory jogging list Al and i can picture the route you took presuming you started at the White House on Oldham Edge, down into town and through to the Farewell on Lees Rd. Good crawl but i would have to have done it in two trips. Being a Rochdale lad i would venture up Oldham for a drink quite regularly as my wife is a Shaw lass which is on the outskirts of Oldham.

Most of those pubs i remember, one or two i am struggling to place, but from the last time i went to or through Oldham (i use to work there) i would say that perhaps only 8-9 of the pubs are still open. Plus of course the local Oldham and Wilsons breweries have gone.

As for real ale, Oldham must now be one of the worst towns in the country. Take the JDWs and the Ashton Arms out of the equation and you are not left with much. Shame really. When you did it, it was a good drinking town.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

I've certainly not been on crawls as big as those mentioned in this thread, but a memorable, regular one from my university days in Swansea was the 'Mumbles Mile' - 10-12 pubs (and a rugby club) along a mile long stretch of the coast finishing in one of the worst nightclubs I've ever been in.
    Sadly the Mile has been another victim of pub closures and the last time I was in town there were only five or six of the pubs still open.

There is a popular three pub crawl in Dorset which used to capture our juvenille imaginations when I was in the sixth form. The pubs aren't very close to one another, nor are they anything out of the ordinary - instead it's all about the pub's names.

St Peter's Finger
    Halfway Inn
    The Silent Woman