Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Beer/pub/drink-related quotes

Hybrid View

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Default Beer/pub/drink-related quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    It is a new one on me as well, I think it must have been on another forum.

Feel free to start a new one here though, sounds like a great thread .
    Well, I couldn't find what I believed was already here, so here's a few decent ones provided via google search...

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
    A hangover is the wrath of grapes. ~Author Unknown
    If drinking is interfering with your work, you're probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, you're probably an alcoholic. ~Author Unknown
    If you know someone who tries to drown their sorrows, you might tell them sorrows know how to swim. ~Quoted in P.S. I Love You, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
    First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you. ~Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald
    This is one of the disadvantages of wine: it makes a man mistake words for thought. ~Samuel Johnson
    Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water. ~W.C. Fields
    It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety. ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver. ~Jack Handey
    I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy. ~W.C. Fields
    Even though a number of people have tried, no one has yet found a way to drink for a living. ~Jean Kerr
    Everybody should believe in something; I believe I'll have another drink. ~Author Unknown
    Wine gives a man nothing... it only puts in motion what had been locked up in frost. ~Samuel Johnson
    They speak of my drinking, but never think of my thirst. ~Scottish Proverb
    A woman drove me to drink and I never even had the courtesy to thank her. ~W.C. Fields
    Beer is the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. ~Homer Simpson

Whoever takes just plain ginger ale soon gets drowned out of the conversation. ~Kin Hubbard
    I'd prefer to have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy. ~Frank Nicholson, attributed
    When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading. ~Henny Youngman
    I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me. ~Winston Churchill
    Teetotallers lack the sympathy and generosity of men that drink. ~W.H. Davies
    No poems can please for long or live that are written by water-drinkers. ~Horace (Quintus Horatius Flaccus), Satires
    One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough. ~James Thurber
    If you are young and you drink a great deal it will spoil your health, slow your mind, make you fat - in other words, turn you into an adult. ~P.J. O'Rourke
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. ~Author unknown, commonly attributed to Benjamin Franklin
    For a quart of ale is a dish for a king. ~William Shakespeare ‘A Winter’s Tale’
    This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer! ~Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck
    Payday came and with it beer. ~ Rudyard Kipling
    Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. ~Henry Lawson
    Make sure that the beer – four pints a week – goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop. ~Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944
    Give my people plenty of beer, good beer, and cheap beer, and you will have no revolution among them. ~Queen Victoria
    I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer. ~Abraham Lincoln
    24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? ~Stephen Wright
    Alright brain, I don’t like you and you don’t like me, so just get me through this exam so I can go back to killing you slowly with beer. ~Homer Simpson
    Some see the glass as half full, others see the glass as half empty. I just wonder who the hell has been drinking my beer! ~seen on a T-Shirt in Portland, Oregon
    He was a wise man who invented beer. ~Plato
    Last edited by trainman; 12-01-2011 at 10:40.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

And the great man deserves his own section...

SAM : What'll you have, Norm?
    NORM : Well I'm in a gambling mood, Sammy. I'll have a glass of whatever comes out of that tap.
    SAM : Oh, Looks like beer, Norm.
    NORM : Call me Mister Lucky.
    WOODY: Hey Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you.
    NORM : I know, and if she calls, I'm not here.
    COACH: Can I draw you a beer, Norm?
    NORM : No, I know what one looks like. Just pour me one.
    COACH: How's a beer sound, Norm?
    NORM : I dunno. I usually finish them before they get a word in.
    SAM : What'd you like, Norm?
    NORM : A reason to live. Gimme another beer.
    SAM : What's the story, Norm?
    NORM : Boy meets beer. Boy drinks beer. Boy meets another beer.
    SAM : Beer, Norm?
    NORM : Have I gotten that predictable? Good.
    WOODY: How's it going, Mr. Peterson?
    NORM : Poor.
    WOODY: I'm sorry to hear that.
    NORM : No, I mean pour.
    WOODY: Can I pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?
    NORM : A little early isn't it?
    WOODY: For a beer?
    NORM : No, for a stupid question.
    "Women. Can't live with 'em…, pass the beer nuts." ~Norm Peterson

and the one I usually remember:
    Woody: How'd a beer be Mr Peterson?
    NORM: If I was nearby..., nervous.
    Last edited by trainman; 12-01-2011 at 10:49.

Magazine interviewer calling at Noel Cowards house early one morning. "Do you always have champagne for breakfast?".

Noel Coward "You mean people don't?".

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

"I drink ,therefore I am" Monty Python with apologies to Rene Descartes.

BEER. Helping ugly people have sex since 1862.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    BEER. Helping ugly people have sex since 1862.
    Wonder what happened before 1862.
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........