Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-use of glass

Glass Half Empty

Post Re-use of glass

I was in a pub this lunch time, one of the regulars had a pint of real ale and I was having a pint of another. when he wanted another pint of the ale I was drinking, the person behind the bar used the same glass for the ale I was drinking.
    Needless to say, I didn't have another in that pub. It wasn't even busy, so fresh glasses were available.
    I thought all pubs knew that it was unhygenic to serve into a used glass, especially when it was from different taps.
    what does the team think???

Thanks

Arthurish

Usually a dirty southern habit, of course in the past the South had straight pipes on the handpumps and the pipe didn't normally touch the beer in the glass so the problem of germs in the glass mixing with beer and being transfered to the pump and so the next glass never happened. In the North the pipe was usually a long swan neck and went into the beer allowing the transfer of nastiness so a clean glass was used each time. In Scotland I believe the law still forbids the reuse of glasses for the same reason. Nowadays the long swan neck is everywhere so a fresh glass should always be used. I have been asked in pubs if the same glass was OK, to which I usually answer "yes no problem , as long as the whole pub wants to catch my herpes".
    Last edited by oldboots; 01-01-2011 at 17:53.

I'll stay on me own

I agree with what you are saying but i have to admitt that if i am not offered a fresh glass when ordering a pint i dont complain about it i know i should but i dont.
    If the beer was slightly off or and marks on the glass i would take it back straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Usually a dirty southern habit.
    Down our way, the form is to be asked "Same glass?", to which the correct answer is traditionally "Yes” (unless you are changing from one beer to another)...

You very rarely get the option to use the same glass even if you want to these days, at least in my experience (down south). Years ago it was the norm to use the same glass. I have to say that, perhaps naively, I was unaware of any health risks to others arising from the tap head being immersed in the beer being drawn through, but I can see how that might be the case even if the odds against it happening must be slim. Thanks for that ob - I sense a New Year's resolution emerging to be more fastidious in this respect.

Stretching the thread a little, I think it was Pubsignman who reviewed a pub engaging in a much worse 'elf n safety faux pas. In this pub the barman had filled a glass from the drip tray and served it up to some poor punter. This is beer that has probably run over the rim of the glass, down the outside of the glass, over the barman's fingers, and into the tray. It's probably flat (even by London standards!) by the time it's been in the drip tray for a while, and the health considerations are obvious. I would never accept a pint if I saw it served up to me like that, never mind how much the barman didn't like being called on it.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Down our way, the form is to be asked "Same glass?", to which the correct answer is traditionally "Yes” (unless you are changing from one beer to another)...
    I actually agree with rpa here - i tend not to bother unless changing beer

As a midlander, i am more concerned with touching the bog door handle after people don't wash their hands after p*ssing than worrying about OB's herpes!
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Stretching the thread a little, I think it was Pubsignman who reviewed a pub engaging in a much worse 'elf n safety faux pas. In this pub the barman had filled a glass from the drip tray and served it up to some poor punter. This is beer that has probably run over the rim of the glass, down the outside of the glass, over the barman's fingers, and into the tray. It's probably flat (even by London standards!) by the time it's been in the drip tray for a while, and the health considerations are obvious. I would never accept a pint if I saw it served up to me like that, never mind how much the barman didn't like being called on it.
    When beer is served using the autovac system this is almost inevitable. In its own way this is equivalent to drinking from the slops tray. Minimum of a clean glass is required but how long the barmans fingers are clean is another question.

Its amazing how much bad practice goes on behind bars fingers in clean glasses etc but then again we have all lived to tell the tale.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

In my neck of the woods more people want their glass to be refilled than ask for a fresh one.
    I am a slow drinker and prefer a fresh glass each time. This was commented on by one drinker who believed only a reused glass gave you the taste of the beer. The first pint removed any residual taste from the glass washer. Mind you, this chap was from Tamworth and hogging two tables.
    The health and safety issue of swan necks has not occurred to me before but after this reading this thread I find myself checking the habits of my fellow drinkers.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

When I return empties I often drop them off at one end of the bar, then go to the middle where the handpulls are to ask for my beer, and must admit I cannot recall ever being asked if I want to use the same glass.

A popular pub in Oxford had pint glasses standing in the drip trays. I watched how they were being used, and beer in them was being used as a top up for a fresh pulled pint. I thought ugh, and challenged why they were doing this. I said beer from one pump could have dribbled into the glasses as they were brought from another pump, flies could have walked the rim etc, and I was told that no glass is there for more than 10 - 15 minutes. I mentioned it on my stubbie to Oxford CAMRA, but haven't been in since to check if the practise continues.

I seem to recall years ago that drip trays got tipped into mild beer.

Something I don't like seeing is that after pulling the beer, the bar staff put their fingers round the top of the glass round the drinking area to pass it over the pumps when they serve you.

I don't usually get this problem as I always buy my next Pint when I'm around two thirds down the glass. This gives the Beer time too settle and warm slightly if the beers too cold like it is in the Spoons usually.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)