Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Re-use of glass

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

These days I partly avoid the issue, as I tend to work across the pumps, with two halves of different beer on the go at any one time. Most local pubs use a fresh glass, but occasionally I have been given a choice. Until recently, if I was on the same beer, I didn't mind re-filling a used glass, but now I prefer a clean one every time.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Round here it normally fresh glass, or the "Same glass OK?" question. As I am also a slow drinker I opt for a fresh glass every time

The germs issue was one I was not really aware of TBH, maybe that's what gives me a headache some mornings?

This Space For Hire

I tend to appreciate it when I get a pint in the same glass. It seems right.

"Germs" don't carry as well as you'd think. It's more about how healthy you are as an individual anyway. If there is a virulent bug about you're going to get it any road. Always good to keep your immune system prepped.

Fresh glass everytime except if the pub is heaving and the staff are pouring into glasses straight from the dishwasher. This is nothing to do with hygiene, I just like a clean glass.

Talking of hygiene, my mum used to work in the Cambridge Arms in Kingston (some on here may remember it), but it is now closed) and I used to go to work with her in the school holidays when I was about 7 or 8 (1982/83). I can remember standing behind the bar cleaning the glasses on a spinning rag with bristles that trickled with water. does anyone remember these as I've not seen one since and imagine that they have probably been banned for health reasons.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Fresh glass everytime except if the pub is heaving and the staff are pouring into glasses straight from the dishwasher. This is nothing to do with hygiene, I just like a clean glass.

Talking of hygiene, my mum used to work in the Cambridge Arms in Kingston (some on here may remember it), but it is now closed) and I used to go to work with her in the school holidays when I was about 7 or 8 (1982/83). I can remember standing behind the bar cleaning the glasses on a spinning rag with bristles that trickled with water. does anyone remember these as I've not seen one since and imagine that they have probably been banned for health reasons.
    They were common round here till a few years ago , last one i remember seeing was in my old local the Blue Pig , Trench about 3 years ago
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I used to work behind a bar in the mid 70's and the washer was similar. Used to push glasses up and down over a revolving mophead type thing in water. Sounds foul now doesn't it.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

I have to admit this is all news to me. In the past I have been bemused to get a clean glass when I have taken my glass back to the bar and handed it to the bar staff as I made my order, interesting to hear there is a reason.

My off the cuff feeling is that if you are worried about germs from backwash into a pump then you are not drinking a strong enough beer

Glass Half Full

It's our policy not to re-use glasses. This causes me at least two arguments a week with new customers who choose for whatever reason to be as cocky as possible; one of whom about a year ago screamed at me (the "ba**tard authoritarian", I believe I was called),then made a point of pouring his beer in to the original glass, whilst wasting half a pint over my nice clean bar - needless to say he wasn't allowed to stay and drink it.

I don't do it for any particular health and safety reason. I do it because its' how I was taught 12+ years ago, and it's stuck. The original reason for fresh glasses was simple; when my old boss filtered back the drip trays each night, he ran less risk of spoiling the beer if there was minimal contamination. The most we'll do here on the subject of waste is give the chef a drip tray after a barrel change to filter down and use in a pie; which on my travels is reasonably common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by ptg View Post
    It's our policy not to re-use glasses. This causes me at least two arguments a week with new customers who choose for whatever reason to be as cocky as possible; one of whom about a year ago screamed at me (the "ba**tard authoritarian", I believe I was called),then made a point of pouring his beer in to the original glass, whilst wasting half a pint over my nice clean bar - needless to say he wasn't allowed to stay and drink it.

I don't do it for any particular health and safety reason. I do it because its' how I was taught 12+ years ago, and it's stuck. The original reason for fresh glasses was simple; when my old boss filtered back the drip trays each night, he ran less risk of spoiling the beer if there was minimal contamination. The most we'll do here on the subject of waste is give the chef a drip tray after a barrel change to filter down and use in a pie; which on my travels is reasonably common practice.
    An excellent way not to waste ale - one we follow too. I don't mind serving in the same glass - using a swan neck it just means 1) no sparkler and 2) the swan neck doesn't go into the glass, but is poured like a lager would be. Keeps everyone happy
    *insert something clever/humorous/interesting here*

Quote Originally Posted by ptg View Post
    The most we'll do here on the subject of waste is give the chef a drip tray after a barrel change to filter down and use in a pie; which on my travels is reasonably common practice.
    Can you still claim ullage on that as well? If you can it's a double bonus.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas