Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to Boddingtons !

I'll stay on me own

[QUOTE=Crossste;25795]Hi Al. You may well be right with the Brewers but that pub was a new build after the takeover iirc. They knocked down a classic spit and sawdust boozer to build a new show pub. Yeah.

Hi Crossste,

The Brewers that we went in was a modern pub we went in there in 1986 when Boddingtons bitter still tasted like it should do.

I remember drinking Boddies in a couple of their pubs in Bollington, Cheshire in the very early '80s, lovely stuff and I had no trouble drinking 12 or 14 pints being used to Gales HSB and Courage Directors. There were people who thought it had been dumbed down a bit even then and of course when Twitbreads got their hands on it that was the end of a fine brew, strangely reminiscent of Ruddles - a legendary beer destroyed by Grotneys in the late 70s.

Cask Boddingtons is still brewed at Hydes. It has to be brewed in Manchester or they have to drop the Cream Of Manchester tagline.

Boddies smooth is brewed in a beer factory somewhere in Manchester for the same reason although it's not brewed at Hydes.

The Baths Hotel replaced.... The Baths Hotel. The original was in a terrace on Smith Street that got knocked down as part of the bus station rebuild.

The new build was at 42 Smith Street not far from its original site. The last landlord was Roy Kenworthy, an ex work colleague of mine.

At one point in the 70's there were only 3 or 4 pubs in the whole of central Rochdale serving cask ale. The Baths was one of them. R.I.P.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Must admit you,ve got me there Rob. I can,t remember the original Baths pub. In fact i,ve all on to remember how that area looked pre bus station. The only pub i can remember on the bus station side of the road was the Slubbers which was a Thwaites house and again iirc Thwaites got the new pub in the station (Travellers?) due to losing the Slubbers.

Appologies to none Rochdalians.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Quote Originally Posted by Crossste View Post
    Must admit you,ve got me there Rob. I can,t remember the original Baths pub. In fact i,ve all on to remember how that area looked pre bus station. The only pub i can remember on the bus station side of the road was the Slubbers which was a Thwaites house and again iirc Thwaites got the new pub in the station (Travellers?) due to losing the Slubbers.

Appologies to none Rochdalians.
    The old Baths was on the same side as the new Baths, close to Cyril Watts' original chippy. They widened the road to allow buses access which cost us the old pub and the chippy. Cyril bought and relocated to "Dirty Marys" on Whitworth Road. The new Baths used the same frontage as the old pub and was massively extended at the rear.

You're right about The Slubbers, they let us have a 6th Form party in their upstairs room even though it must have been obvious that some were < 18.

The Travellers Rest was an awful pub, but I had my first ever game of Galactica there.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 31-12-2010 at 09:30.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Now there is a memory jerker, Cyril Watt,s chippy. We used to go there for our dinner on tech days. Still can,t get the pub though. I can still picture that part of Smith St with the side streets down to Yelloways i just can,t visualise the pub unfortunately.

Only made it in the Slubbers once myself also under aged and again on a tech day lunchtime.

Concur with your opinion of the Travellers but i did have a stroke of good fortune from there. The glass washer in our pub at Ossett had given up the ghost on the same day as our area manager came to visit. He had just left the Travellers after doing an inventory on fixture and fittings prior to emptying the premises when Thwaites gave up on the pub. He said there was a fairly new machine in the Travellers which we could have for £300, cellar service would bring it over and if we accepted it they would bill us on our next invoice.

Cellar service turns up with the all singing, all dancing glass washer, we accept it and the cellar service lad even fitted it for us.

Thwaites never did invoice us, despite a couple of reminders to them. It just cost us a bacon butty for the lad who fitted it.

Fat lad from Rochdale 1. Fat cats from Blackburn 0.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

I'll stay on me own

[QUOTE=oldboots;25812]I remember drinking Boddies in a couple of their pubs in Bollington, Cheshire in the very early '80s, lovely stuff and I had no trouble drinking 12 or 14 pints

Hi oldboots,

There were 4 Boddingtons pubs in Bollington when we went on a camra pub crawl there in the mid 80s i did 3 of them these were the Waggon and Horses, Spinners Arms and The Meridian which was a very basic drinkers pub the one i missed was at Bollington Cross which was a bit too far to walk at night.

PS,Thats some drinking.