Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to Boddingtons !

I'll stay on me own

Default What happened to Boddingtons !

I can remember drinking in the Manchester Cheshire areas in the 80s and used to look forward to going into a Boddingtons tied house the bitter was straw coloured hoppy and very tasty.

I recently went round to a relatives house and they poured a drink out for me when i tried it it did'nt resemble beer so i went into the kitchen and noticed an empty can of Boddingtons extra smooth cold flow beer,this beer was very sweet and sickly and tasted really bad.

I have read on this forum that Conrad is qualified in chemistry would it be possible to test this drink to see if there is any link with this drink and proper beer i dont think there will be.

Alan.

The Strangeways brewery and the Boddingtons brand was sold to Whitbread for £50.7 million in 1989, Whitbread was then sold to Interbrew in 2000.

Don't touch the stuff myself, comparable to the smoothflow/creamflow beers of John Smiths et al.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Likewise, I loved visiting the Boddies pubs in Chester when I was working up there. There are no Boddies outlets around here anyway, so I will take Alan's review as gospel and save me a quid or so

Just checked, seems the brand has succumbed to mega corporate meddling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boddingtons

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Boddington's Bitter had virtual cult status in the Manchester area when I started drinking back in the late 1970s. In my opinion however the beer was fairly light being of low gravity. It is my understanding that at some time in the 70s the gravity was reduced from about 1038 to 1035 to keep the tax down and keep the price competitive.

A cask version of the original beer is still brewed, I believe by Hydes, but I'm not sure how widely available it is. Many of the former Boddies pubs are now JW Lees houses.

I too am fortunate that the "Cream of Manchester" doesn't filter down to my area too often. The last pint I had was in Mr Sams Chop House in Manchester and I swore never again unless I wish to remind myself just how bad it is.

A glance at the appropriate page on Ratebeer reveals that the recipe changed substantially in 2003 so it isn't surprising that people are questioning their previous experiences. 1 recent reviewer describes it as "comically bad" which probably sums the stuff up in 2 words.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boddingtons-cask/693/

We used to have a pre match pub crawl up to Old Trafford from Victoria station in the 70s/80s which used to feature many Boddies houses. The first port of call was usually the pub virtually in Boddies yard but for the life in me i cant remember the name (possibly Royal Oak?) and the onto the Braziers and the Blackfriers. All good boozers with the usual Boddies carpet i.e. red limmer.

We used to have 3 good un,s here in Rochdale pre takeover. May needs Robs help here.

Hare and Hounds nicknamed the Blood Tub
    Bonnie Dundee
    And i think the Citizan.

In beer drinking terms only it was a tragedy when it got taken over and Whitbreads still brewed and turned out something purporting to be Boddies. Shame on ,em. If it was still knocking about in its original form it would still be in my top five
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Not seen it in cask for ages, but keg-wise it is all around me - in my local and i had two pints (thankfully watered into shandy) last night whilst reviewing a few of the more basic pubs of Willenhall
    MILD:

I'll stay on me own

Hi Crossste, I think the pub closest to Boddingtons brewery was called the Brewers Arms and it had a large copper kettle in the middle of the room that you could sit inside.
    On the crawl from victoria we did the Old Ship, Black Friar, Braziers Arms and the Jubilee.
    I can remember going in The Baths Inn in Rochdale this was definatly a Boddingtons tied house.

I hope that has helped to jog your memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Hi Crossste, I think the pub closest to Boddingtons brewery was called the Brewers Arms and it had a large copper kettle in the middle of the room that you could sit inside.
    On the crawl from victoria we did the Old Ship, Black Friar, Braziers Arms and the Jubilee.
    I can remember going in The Baths Inn in Rochdale this was definatly a Boddingtons tied house.

I hope that has helped to jog your memory.
    Hi Al. You may well be right with the Brewers but that pub was a new build after the takeover iirc. They knocked down a classic spit and sawdust boozer to build a new show pub. Yeah.

The Baths in Rochdale was also a new build pub again iirc after the takeover perhaps to replace the Hare and Hounds. This now has also been knocked down. Crazily it was probably only there for about 20yrs
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Crossste/Al

This looks to be a pretty useful site for lost pubs in Manchester, certainly The Brewers is on there. There are references to older pubs on Gt Ducie Street too, The Crown and Mason's Arms. Certainly worth a browse through.

http://pubs-of-manchester.blogspot.com/