Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closed pubs project

Default Closed pubs project

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/index.html

Has anyone else seen this? It could be useful as a source of historical information, and wonder if there's scope for interaction with PuG?

Some of their info is a bit out of date, but some cross-referencing might be ok.
    Last edited by ETA; 29-12-2010 at 08:21.

I have brought this web site up before on a few occasions - it was added to the Pubs Galore Pub Link page some time ago. If you look at the Dartford page on the site you will see that I have been quite active and added several pubs, some of which have been closed for over a hundred years but still exist as shops or offices. Given the number of closed pubs in existance they have an awful lot of work to do but it is actually quite interesting to spot old pubs and then try to find out something about them via local history books, websites etc.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

it is a good site, although some on there have re-opened!
    MILD:

Just had a look at the Dartford page and noticed one has reopened + there are a few errors in his annotations on some pubs so I have sent him an e-mail to a) update the page and b) suggest he pops on our Forum to say hi and maybe generate a bit of business for himself!

My first pub was the Imperial in Blackburn so i was drawn to the Blackburn page on the site for a bit of a walk down memory lane. It is now 20 years since we left the Imp and i knew it was no longer a pub but i was surprised at how many of the "quality pubs" had gone. Pubs that i once aspired to running.

Sign of the times i suppose.
    From the home of the kebab of doom

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I have also e-mailed him ref Warnford marked closed but is open, also mentioned PuG so maybe he will join us now two mails

I'll stay on me own

I have had a look at this site over a year ago and i found there were too many mistakes on the site for me to trust what was on the site,i think there intentions are good but they are using some very duff imformation which makes the site unusable for me.

Teetotal

Hi everyone

Just a quick post to thank those people who pointed me at this forum.

As regards the comments re. site errors - guilty as charged I'm afraid. The main issue is with keeping entries up to date. I'm particularly conscious of the fact that I'm quite often not aware that a pub has reopened. As such when I am informed of pub re-openings I try to update that entry ASAP; a new publican doing a Google search on his pub name doesn't want to see it flagged as closed.

Thanks for all the Q.A. comments though - it's not just notification of pub closures, past or present, that I like to receive.

I'll stay on me own

Hi Lostpubsproject,

If you let me know how to use your site i would be happy to let you know about the mistakes that i noticed these were on the Nottingham list,there are also many more pubs in that area that are not listed has closed yet.

Alan.

Teetotal

Hi Alan

Just click on the 'submit' button and email me the details of the errors. I will then update the site. Unfortunately I don't have the database skills to allow users to make their own changes.

Thanks

Glenn
    Last edited by lostpubsproject; 29-12-2010 at 17:13.