Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twitter

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default Twitter

Well todays project is to look at Twitter. We have a twitter feed that I want to integrate into the site. It is a bit of an experiment as being honest I don't really get Twitter - there are definitely some pubs that do though, we have so far been found by the following tweeters:

photoshopreview - Being honest have no idea what this is about
    ArfurD - Editor of the Brew Wales blog
    DanielPearce - Editor of the Publican publication (nice to be found by)
    PubnBarNetwork - Not sure who these are to be honest
    ratandratchet - An Ossett Brewery pub in Huddersfield (PG-link)
    TheCastleInn - A pub in West Lulworth who are big fans of dogs (PG-link)

The last 2 are pubs who seem to have gotten their heads round using Twitter far better than I have. They use it to promote the beers they are serving and festivals at their venues.

I am hoping to set it up so that these pubs can have their twitter feed shown straight on the Pubs Galore page giving our site users a hint about what is being served at these pubs.

Conrad

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

I have no real idea what it is, mate - just hear its popular. Modern communication is beyond me - i deal with parchment for a living remember!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Missed opportunity, the Archivist twitter, boiling down your work on a daily basis to 140 letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Missed opportunity, the Archivist twitter, boiling down your work on a daily basis to 140 letters.
    Dont laugh, Squire, someone set me up on it as 'Archivist', as a ploy to get interest in archives/history etc. I just cant find where the profile is to enter anything. I got a few messages from great looking ladies saying they were following me - turns out the were advertising as well

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Been there had those, same thing happened on my set up which I created to try and work out how it all worked. There are some good twitter feeds out there, but I really don't get it.

Smile Twitter

Hi,

I set up a Myspace account just to stop my kids going on about it to me. It lasted three months before it was boring me to tears and I got rid of the account. So then they wanted me to have a Myspace account so they could keep in touch while they were at University, but they didnt, and since all the contacts I got came from people who sounded a bit strange, I got rid of that too. None of my, kids have mentioned Twitter. I'm not sure if they think I am getting to old to be interested, or that they are older themselves and have better things to do with their time. Either way I won't be getting involved in twitter. I can't imagine anyone being interested in what I do at work, since I dont actually do much at all, and every day is the same as the last.

Filo
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Red face Twitter Part 2

P.S.

The second reference to Myspace in the second line was supposed to be "Facebook".

Filo
    Visit my Website www.whitby.manymore.net or listen to Whitby Radio www.whitby.manymoreradio.com/

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ahh you got in a bit quick there. I was going to ask about Facebook.

I have never tried MySpace and genuinely don't understand it, it does seem to be more for music artists to me (gross generalisation).

Facebook I kind of dally with, to my mind it has picked up where Friends Reunited left off, and I think it still has quite a lot to offer. I have been toying with adding some Facebook features to the site, but it is more work and I don't think offers much to PG at the moment. One I will watch though, and I do occasionally enjoy playing on it.

Twitter just seems to be the ultimate vanity toy to me, regular cries out of look @ me, I'm doing this. I'm told that I just don't get it though and equally assured that it is a threat to Google. Apparently you just have to ask a question and it magically gets answered (I don't see it, but then maybe I don't have enough friends ). To be more positive about it though, we have already seen a few pub sites posting about what guest ales they are taking on - something I would love to list for every pub. So if we can pass through their Tweets onto PG it is at least a start for some.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Well we have done some minor Twitter enhancements. More to come I hope.

For the moment though we have attached the following pubs Twitter feeds to their pub page:

Rat & Ratchet - Huddersfield
    The Castle Inn - Lulworth Cove - (Alex Halliday's pub)
    Kings Head - Beccles
    Kilverts - Hay on Wye - (Eddie86's pub)

The Twitter feed will be updated every hour, so we will sadly not be showing every post as it happens (particularly not Alex's who is an astonishingly prolific Tweeter). Although they do link to the Twitter feed hopefully allowing interested people to then follow the feeds.

There are some minor improvements planned that may appear at random, but let us know if there is anything you would like to see (or not in fact). Would be really interested if Ed or Alex have any feedback on this feature as well.

Just in case any publican is reading this and wants to know how to join basically just follow our Twitter feed and we will sort it, but more info in my blog.

i went out with a few friends around Bloxwich the other week and one of them Twittered in every pub (to be fair, he does run a bloxwich blog website - on which my blocko pub comments appear too). With the twits he received, i thought it was a waste of time coming out, as he didnt speak to us, just with the virtual world. Mad.
    MILD: