Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Week (w/e 2 January 2011)

Good lunchtime at the Benenden Bull, no Larkins Porter, unfortunately,but excellent LarkinsTraditional, Dark Star Hophead, and my BOTW-Old Dairy's Silver Top, a "cream stout", brewed just up the road in Rolvenden. A lovely dry and bibleblack stout,full of tart fruit and chocolate. I haven't tried all their beers yet, but this and Blue Top IPA are excellent, and the IPA is one of my regular bottled choices.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Despite some decent competition (notably Weltons Santa's Gone Ginger, Bateman's Ashes Ale and Cottage Goldrush) just the one winner for me. A brewery in Tottenham is always likely to brew some kind of Spurs related beer and I approached Redemption's Hopspur ale with the usual trepidation normally reserved for gimmicky Xmas beers and Royal Wedding celebratory ales (you just know they are coming!). Sometimes however, when a beer hits the tongue, the words Beer of the Week just jump out and smack you in the face and for a new Brewery findng its feet, I have been very impressed with the few beers I have sampledfrom their repertoise and the Hopspur ale ticked all the boxes for me.

Well after quite a lot of beer this week, the winner is going to be one tried right at the end of the week on 1st Jan.

Blindman's Rocket Fuel, tried in The Baum.

It was so good I had to have 3 which is unusual for me as I normally move along the pumps when there are several beers on.

Runner up is Titanic Chocolate Vanilla Stout tried in the Regal Moon also on the 1st. It was a good night on Saturday.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

My BOTW is Box Steam Dark Box which I enjoyed over lunch in the Westgate, Bath on Sunday. It narrowly edges out a fine pint of Bath Gem and a vast amount of Skinner's Betty Stogs which were the only other beers worth mentioning this week.

Teetotal

Default The Bulls Head

Sorry you felt it was a dodgy start and would it not be better to at least give the new Landlady a chance...I am trying honest:-). Yes 10 Landlords/Managers in 18 months/2 years is a lot but hopefully if we can get people coming back into the pub then I will be staying long term.
    The real ales that I have on I hope you found ok, I did have the Telford branch of CAMRA in a few weeks ago and they were happy with them.

Will look forward to seeing you in here again.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    Well a dodgy start to the week (Bulls Head , Wrockwardine Wood , 10 landlords/managers in the last 18 months tells is own story)
    Black Country - Fireside
    Black Country - Dudley Pale Ale
    Quantock- Plastered Pheasant
    Dark Star - Best

Then a decent end
    Three Tuns - Stirling
    Idle Brewery - Idle Landlord
    Derby - Triple Hop
    Pictish - Winter Solstice
    Cottage - Herrcules
    Titanic - Choclate Vanilla Stout

BOTW an easy win for Titanic Chocolate Vanilla Stout , tastes just like it sounds , gorgeous

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carolann19 View Post
    Sorry you felt it was a dodgy start and would it not be better to at least give the new Landlady a chance...I am trying honest:-). Yes 10 Landlords/Managers in 18 months/2 years is a lot but hopefully if we can get people coming back into the pub then I will be staying long term.
    The real ales that I have on I hope you found ok, I did have the Telford branch of CAMRA in a few weeks ago and they were happy with them.

Will look forward to seeing you in here again.
    Hi carolann19 , i enjoyed the hour or so in the Bulls Head , very welcoming pub, its allways been one of my favorites , the dodgy bit being the turnover of licencees , every time i visit theres someone else in charge (same thing seems to be happening to the Alexandria in Oakengates another BCB run pub) it cant be good for buisness .
    The beer was OK , i would`nt have had 4 pints if it was not good , i will definatley visit again (i need to post an up to date review , last one was about 4 landlords ago !)
    I do hope you make the Bulls Head a success as its a cracking little pub .

If you get chance upload some pictures of that fantastic tiled bar onto the main site
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

A little late but it's going to be Oakham Inferno, at the Blacksmiths Arms St Albans
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

Teetotal

Thank you I am glad you enjoyed your hour or so and will look forward to you returning...although you will have to make yourself known so that I know who I am talking to...lol