Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beer of the Year 2010

You beat me to this as I've been thinking about it for a week or two. No doubt and no other contenders even come close to Marble Summer.
    I don't know what those boys do that's so different to everyone else, but despite trying a wide range of top quality ale across the country, Marble beers for me are head and shoulders above the rest.
    I suspect it's a combination of exceptional brewing skill and top quality, organic ingredients but if anyone has any insight into how they achieve what they do - do the organic ingredients make that much difference etc. - I'd be interested to know. Although not as interested as in finding a local boozer in which to drink this nectar.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I'm going to have to pass on this one as I don't tend to record opinions of the beer, just enjoy them. That's why I have trouble with beer of the week. Always intend to keep notes, but when Conrad puts the thread up, I look at my beer list and my mind tends to go blank.

I will try to put M for Mmmm great beer, Y for yuk for something I really dislike. Trouble is, most beers I try I feel are OK beers, I just enjoy drinking them.

I know I dislike ginger in beers, and hate it when there's no clue in the name, I like chilli beers, fruit a bit iffy - not a favourite beer but I have had some good ones. Like mild with a bit of strength, prefer porters to stouts. Like to see a bit of coulour in the bitter beers - too many pale, light, straw beers around these days.

My New Year Resolution to keep better notes. I would find out which breweries came out on top as a favourite too if I did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    You beat me to this as I've been thinking about it for a week or two. No doubt and no other contenders even come close to Marble Summer.
    I don't know what those boys do that's so different to everyone else, but despite trying a wide range of top quality ale across the country, Marble beers for me are head and shoulders above the rest.
    I suspect it's a combination of exceptional brewing skill and top quality, organic ingredients but if anyone has any insight into how they achieve what they do - do the organic ingredients make that much difference etc. - I'd be interested to know. Although not as interested as in finding a local boozer in which to drink this nectar.
    Not sure where is local to you TP but we've gots loads. Marble Arch, 57 Thomas Street, Knott.....et al
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    TBH not a brewery I'm very familiar with, considering it's not that far away. I know I've tried one of their beers, but it was so long ago I can't remember which one. Will definitely keep an eye out, as so many people seem to rate them. If I manage to get to the Winter Ales Festival, I'm going to make a special effort to visit The Marble Arch.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Not sure where is local to you TP but we've gots loads. Marble Arch, 57 Thomas Street, Knott.....et al
    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    If I manage to get to the Winter Ales Festival, I'm going to make a special effort to visit The Marble Arch.
    I have been to both the Marble Arch and the Knott in 2009 and especially enjoyed the Marble Arch - great boozer and even greater beer. Unfortunately, despite finding its way into London occasionally, Marble doesn't seem to stop off here in the East Midlands. It'll have to remain a rare treat as I gaze wistfully up the M6 with envy.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Known /Regulars Beers

When in London and the SE ,anything from Dark Star with the ever reliable Hophead or the Porter topping the list.I can normally find a Dark Star brew in Croydon ,which makes the pilgrimage to Selhurst Park a lot more bearable.

New/Unusual Beers

Special mention should be made of the Oakham Brewery,whose beers I first encountered in 2010.Bishop's Revenge,12 Monkeys and Inferno were all outstanding.

Another new brewery for me was Blue Monkey and their strong Ape Ale is high on the list to be searched out again in 2011.

A lot of my drinking is a result of boating around the canal system ,sometimes in the redoubtable company of Mr Phat and I have to agree with him that if Marble beers are spotted at the bar ,there is never any other decision than to sink as many pints of it as humanly possible .Summer ,W90,Pint have all made it to BOTW.

However my Pint of the Year goes to Little Ale Cart's Alcazar supped where it is brewed in The Wellington,Sheffield ,on my first visit to Sheffield which also get the vote as best boozing town for 2010.
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 04-01-2011 at 13:23.

Known /Regulars Beers

1. Crouch Vale Brewer's Gold
    2. Dark Star American Pale Ale
    3. Westerham British Bulldog

Honourable mentions to Palmer's Best Bitter and York Centurion's Ghost.

New/Unusual Beers

1. Fyne Ales Highlander
    2. Adur Black William Stout
    3. Okell's Alt

Honourable mentions to Itchen Valley Russian Winter, Brewdog Edge, Salopian Darwin's Origin and Milk Street Mermaid.