Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: National Winter Ales Festival - anyone going?

  1. #11
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    We tried quite a lot of the available beers (didn't we OB )

    OB may well request a new but for candles.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Grrr, bloody candle powered tables, I hate them as you may have noticed, they belong in churches and restaurants not in pubs.
    Good to see you guys yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it says it all about the quality of the beer when I didn't have a hangover this morning. However, I'm still picking the splattered wax off my jacket, from the candle I blew out in Odd bar. Nice of you to let me travel home with wax on my eyebrow and up my nostril.* I wondered why I was getting some strange looks. That's the last flamboyant gesture of solidarity I give you 'ob'!

    * Having thought about it, you weren't in a fit state to notice anything.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  2. #12
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    No missed connections or anything then?
    I'm pleased to report the beer compass was in full working order, can't speak for A&H of course.

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  3. #13
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    No missed connections or anything then?
    We then went back to The Baum for a pint.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I'm pleased to report the beer compass was in full working order, can't speak for A&H of course.
    Was hoping for a 'wind-down' pint at the Bull & Fairhouse, but unfortunately not to be. Tried jumping on a main line train, just as the doors were closing, only to be told by the guard that if I didn't get off she would call security. All because I held the door open for a second. Sod's Law dictated that the next train was late and diverted. Took me an hour and a half to get from Leeds to Wakefield. Aaaaargh. So the pint of 'Two tone' in Odd was my last one of the night.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  4. #14
    Former Pubs Galore Coder
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Was hoping for a 'wind-down' pint at the Bull & Fairhouse, but unfortunately not to be. Tried jumping on a main line train, just as the doors were closing, only to be told by the guard that if I didn't get off she would call security. All because I held the door open for a second. Sod's Law dictated that the next train was late and diverted. Took me an hour and a half to get from Leeds to Wakefield. Aaaaargh. So the pint of 'Two tone' in Odd was my last one of the night.
    So let me get this straight, rather than miss the train, you held the doors so that you could get on.

    Having been caught doing this the guard told you to get off presumably because that is against the rules (jobsworth).

    So out of interest faced with the same circumstance again I am sure you wouldn't stop the doors .

    Being honest I think I would have sat down and told the guard to call security then.

  5. #15
    This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    1,478

    Default

    Apart from falling a couple of times on my way to the fest on the frosty cobbles in Bury, we had a good time today at NWAF, and will probably go back there tomorrow, or do Northern Quarter pubs. Will see how my bruised rear, grazed knee and elbow, and jarred shoulder cope after a night's rest.

  6. #16
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Grrr, bloody candle powered tables, I hate them as you may have noticed, they belong in churches and restaurants not in pubs.
    Candles - at least you can see the blighters, it's tea lights you really need to watch out for...

  7. #17
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    1,936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Champion Winter Ale is Hopback Entire Stout.
    For London-centric residents, it's always available here.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Just under 21 units of alcohol, not that much really for an afternoon.
    I think each glass at the winter fest will average rather more than a standard unit count...

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post

    After you and A&H left we went for a marguerita (I kid you not)
    !!! What else when you've been on the sauce all day? How on earth did you avoid the hangover?

  8. #18
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post


    I think each glass at the winter fest will average rather more than a standard unit count...
    The figure is based on quantity times abv not the one unit per half nonesense, errors may creep in because the measures at the festival were sometimes generous and because I was "taken bad" later on I may have not accurately recorded my evening drinks, it could be closer to 24 units but shouldn't be any more .

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

  9. #19
    Roving RAT ROBCamra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rochdale
    Posts
    4,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The figure is based on quantity times abv not the one unit per half nonesense, errors may creep in because the measures at the festival were sometimes generous and because I was "taken bad" later on I may have not accurately recorded my evening drinks, it could be closer to 24 units but shouldn't be any more .
    If a half was one unit I had 22. Plus however many units a Marguerita is, several I should think.

    However almost all the beers I had at the festival were 4.5% plus. So probably quite a few more in reality.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

  10. #20
    Old & Bitter oldboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    God's Own County
    Posts
    4,756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    If a half was one unit I had 22. Plus however many units a Marguerita is, several I should think.

    However almost all the beers I had at the festival were 4.5% plus. So probably quite a few more in reality.
    A half of a 3.5% abv beer is just under 1 unit (0.994), a half of 4.5% is about 1.3 units, Thornbridge St Petersburg is 2.2 units a half .

    Tell us, now, how and when
    We may find the bravest men?
    A sure test, an easy test:
    Those that drink beer are the best

Similar Threads

  1. a swift one - The 9th Winter Star Festival approaches
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-11-2010, 08:09
  2. Grand National Tips - who are you backing?
    By Millay in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:40
  3. Student Brewer - National Cask Ale Week
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 20:00
  4. National Winter Ales Festival - anyone going?
    By ROBCamra in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 25-01-2010, 21:45
  5. Winter Warmers
    By Soup Dragon in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 16-10-2009, 00:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •