Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Winter Ales Festival - anyone going?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    We tried quite a lot of the available beers (didn't we OB )

OB may well request a new but for candles.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Grrr, bloody candle powered tables, I hate them as you may have noticed, they belong in churches and restaurants not in pubs.
    Good to see you guys yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it says it all about the quality of the beer when I didn't have a hangover this morning. However, I'm still picking the splattered wax off my jacket, from the candle I blew out in Odd bar. Nice of you to let me travel home with wax on my eyebrow and up my nostril.* I wondered why I was getting some strange looks. That's the last flamboyant gesture of solidarity I give you 'ob'!

* Having thought about it, you weren't in a fit state to notice anything.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

No missed connections or anything then?
    I'm pleased to report the beer compass was in full working order, can't speak for A&H of course.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

No missed connections or anything then?
    We then went back to The Baum for a pint.
    I'm pleased to report the beer compass was in full working order, can't speak for A&H of course.
    Was hoping for a 'wind-down' pint at the Bull & Fairhouse, but unfortunately not to be. Tried jumping on a main line train, just as the doors were closing, only to be told by the guard that if I didn't get off she would call security. All because I held the door open for a second. Sod's Law dictated that the next train was late and diverted. Took me an hour and a half to get from Leeds to Wakefield. Aaaaargh. So the pint of 'Two tone' in Odd was my last one of the night.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Was hoping for a 'wind-down' pint at the Bull & Fairhouse, but unfortunately not to be. Tried jumping on a main line train, just as the doors were closing, only to be told by the guard that if I didn't get off she would call security. All because I held the door open for a second. Sod's Law dictated that the next train was late and diverted. Took me an hour and a half to get from Leeds to Wakefield. Aaaaargh. So the pint of 'Two tone' in Odd was my last one of the night.
    So let me get this straight, rather than miss the train, you held the doors so that you could get on.

Having been caught doing this the guard told you to get off presumably because that is against the rules (jobsworth).

So out of interest faced with the same circumstance again I am sure you wouldn't stop the doors .

Being honest I think I would have sat down and told the guard to call security then.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Apart from falling a couple of times on my way to the fest on the frosty cobbles in Bury, we had a good time today at NWAF, and will probably go back there tomorrow, or do Northern Quarter pubs. Will see how my bruised rear, grazed knee and elbow, and jarred shoulder cope after a night's rest.

Grrr, bloody candle powered tables, I hate them as you may have noticed, they belong in churches and restaurants not in pubs.
    Candles - at least you can see the blighters, it's tea lights you really need to watch out for...

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Champion Winter Ale is Hopback Entire Stout.
    For London-centric residents, it's always available here.

Just under 21 units of alcohol, not that much really for an afternoon.
    I think each glass at the winter fest will average rather more than a standard unit count...

After you and A&H left we went for a marguerita (I kid you not)
    !!! What else when you've been on the sauce all day? How on earth did you avoid the hangover?

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post

I think each glass at the winter fest will average rather more than a standard unit count...
    The figure is based on quantity times abv not the one unit per half nonesense, errors may creep in because the measures at the festival were sometimes generous and because I was "taken bad" later on I may have not accurately recorded my evening drinks, it could be closer to 24 units but shouldn't be any more .

The figure is based on quantity times abv not the one unit per half nonesense, errors may creep in because the measures at the festival were sometimes generous and because I was "taken bad" later on I may have not accurately recorded my evening drinks, it could be closer to 24 units but shouldn't be any more .
    If a half was one unit I had 22. Plus however many units a Marguerita is, several I should think.

However almost all the beers I had at the festival were 4.5% plus. So probably quite a few more in reality.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

If a half was one unit I had 22. Plus however many units a Marguerita is, several I should think.

However almost all the beers I had at the festival were 4.5% plus. So probably quite a few more in reality.
    A half of a 3.5% abv beer is just under 1 unit (0.994), a half of 4.5% is about 1.3 units, Thornbridge St Petersburg is 2.2 units a half .